PulseAudio 15 Released With Bluetooth Improvements, Better Hardware Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 15 Released With Bluetooth Improvements, Better Hardware Support

Phoronix: PulseAudio 15 Released With Bluetooth Improvements, Better Hardware Support

While PipeWire continues on a nice upward trajectory for fulfilling the roles of PulseAudio and JACK along with other audio/video stream management needs, PulseAudio isn't letting up yet and on Tuesday saw its big version 15.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice.
    The new virtual-surround-sound convolution engine should bring up the quality closer to that of HeSuVi and supports more than 5.1 channels. I've been waiting for this.

Comment

Does someone know how they managed to support LDAC and AptX (HD)? As far as I know, LDAC had licence conflicts and AptX patent issues.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
        Does someone know how they managed to support LDAC and AptX (HD)? As far as I know, LDAC had licence conflicts and AptX patent issues.
        Same as with PipeWire
        For aptX / aptX HD, you need to install libopenaptx by yourself : https://github.com/pali/libopenaptx
        If the lib's there, those codecs should work.

For LDAC, at least in Fedora, the lib is in the official repo : libldac.x86_64 2.0.2.3-8.fc34 @fedora
        Last edited by sheepdestroyer; 28 July 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
          Very nice.
          The new virtual-surround-sound convolution engine should bring up the quality closer to that of HeSuVi and supports more than 5.1 channels. I've been waiting for this.
          Quality and PulseAudio… that's not something I often hear in the same sentence within the Linux community

Comment

Nice that they finally managed to get that in, but (for me) it's too late. I switched to pipewire already since it provided aptx support.

Also, if you look at the history of aptx Support in Pulseaudio, it's crazy how long it took them to get there.
            Was another reason for me to switch rather sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
              For LDAC, at least in Fedora, the lib is in the official repo : libldac.x86_64 2.0.2.3-8.fc34 @fedora
              The problem was that libldac is released under MIT and for quite some time upstream claimed LGPL 2.1 software can't link MIT software. I would also like to hear what changed their mind. Pipewire has never had that problem because it's also released under MIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Quality and PulseAudio… that's not something I often hear in the same sentence within the Linux community
                works on my machine

Although I only started using it a few years ago when I wanted to seamlessly switch between internal output and HDMI. NBut I never had any issues. Even latency is great with MuQSS (< 2ms).

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

Same as with PipeWire
                  For aptX / aptX HD, you need to install libopenaptx by yourself : https://github.com/pali/libopenaptx
                  If the lib's there, those codecs should work.

The maintainer of libopenaptx states in libopenaptx's README file:
                  As Freedesktop and Collabora projects are continuously abusing and violating license of this project and claiming that they can do it as it is supported by their own Code of Conduct (including censorship practising, removal of all user reports mentioning these activities, banning these users and not explaining anything), this library and any other project which uses this library must not be used or distributed in any Freedesktop or Collabora project, application or library, either in source code, loaded or linked at compile time or at runtime either directly or transitionally throw additional wrapper library or in any other similar form.
                  Pulseaudio and PipeWire are both Freedesktop projects. Seems the author is more keen on acting like a prima donna.

Comment

Glad pulse is still getting updates for now. PipeWire can’t see any of the audio devices on my system (hdmi or USB DAC) so it’s impossible to use it. Pulse only for me, for a while longer.

Comment

Working...
                    X