Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse OpenJ9 0.27 Released For OpenJDK 8/11/16 Alternative

Phoronix: Eclipse OpenJ9 0.27 Released For OpenJDK 8/11/16 Alternative

The Eclipse Foundation has released OpenJ9 as the latest version of their high performance virtual machine that continues advancing four years after IBM donated the original J9 code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"high performance"? For a benchmark site that hasn't tested it, I am not sure.

Proof? Last time I saw OpenJ9 slower than HotSpot.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It's linked from their site -> https://www.eclipse.org/openj9/performance/

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        It's linked from their site -> https://www.eclipse.org/openj9/performance/
        it looks like it's slower but smaller

Comment

OpenJDK 8/11/16

For a second my dumbass thought that part of the headline was a date.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It was tested on this site. It is slower.

In my experience it is slightly slower in general and up to two times slower on some workloads. Also it is much less stable, including segfaults and bytecode miscompilation. Also tooling is pretty different from Hotspot, mostly Eclipse plugins. On the plus side it really consumes less memory both heap and native.

Comment

When I tested it with a large project it was a lot slower than HotSpot, but I'd guess large applications are not a target use for OpenJ9 with it's main focus being fast startup.

Comment

Yeah, pretty funny claiming "high performance" when you only have a handful of implementations out there (3, I believe, including this one).

Also, a brilliant move offering Java 16 (non-LTS) support a couple of months before the release of Java 17 (LTS).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Also, a brilliant move offering Java 16 (non-LTS) support a couple of months before the release of Java 17 (LTS).
                  How would they support unreleased versions? Besides the LTS part doesn't mean anything. They'll release new OpenJDK versions every 6 months. You'll only get any kind of long term support by buying the commercial build.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    How would they support unreleased versions?
                    "Released" doesn't mean anything in this context, because we're looking at an alternative implementation. J9 would only need to support the same JEPs OpenJDK does.
                    Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Besides the LTS part doesn't mean anything. They'll release new OpenJDK versions every 6 months. You'll only get any kind of long term support by buying the commercial build.
                    Enterprises don't touch non-LTS Java, that only supported for 6 months. All non-LTS releases have a big, big problem: they're supposed to be testing releases, but because enterprise won't touch them, they generate very little feedback.

Anyway, it seems I judged them too early, support for 17 is coming this September: https://www.eclipse.org/openj9/docs/openj9_support/

Comment

Working...
                    X