Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra App Kit 1.1 Released As New Cross-Platform UI Toolkit

Phoronix: Ultra App Kit 1.1 Released As New Cross-Platform UI Toolkit

Ultra App Kit is a new cross-platform, user interface toolkit option focused on satisfying the needs of game engines/tooling but also covering needs for other desktop GUI applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like a bad joke.

It could even call it SPAM

Comment

But I thought game development technologies were competing on who allowed you to earn more revenue before you had to pay a single cent these days.

(Seriously, though. How difficult will it be to build market share with that pricing structure?)

Comment

Sorry to say that but at this time, for a new toolkit build with X11 dependencies. Thats a no-go.

Comment

We don't need another C++ gui toolkit. Swift, Kotlin, C# is the better language for GUI toolkit and application today.

Comment

Here is a list of well-known Linux apps that use Ultra App Kit:

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Ultra App Kit 1.1 Released As New Cross-Platform UI Toolkit

Ultra App Kit is a new cross-platform, user interface toolkit option focused on satisfying the needs of game engines/tooling but also covering needs for other desktop GUI applications...
              I serous-ally don't get this. Is this developer serous???

Stuff like Dear Imgui exist under MIT license.
              Dear ImGui: Bloat-free Graphical User interface for C++ with minimal dependencies - ocornut/imgui

Yes "Dear Imgui" is funded by Blizzard and used in AAA Blizzard games. You can put this on top of SDL and be basically everywhere.

Comment

Good luck to them.

Although personally I haven't managed to find a cross-platform toolkit that I like more than wxWidgets. It may have some very crufty bits and the documentation can be lacking or outdated in places but I haven't found a more straightforward solution to get native widgets drawn with C++ on Linux, Mac and Win. Also, 3.1 has decent hidpi support and has a very liberal licence.

Comment

Originally posted by JackyLau View Post
                  We don't need another C++ gui toolkit. Swift, Kotlin, C# is the better language for GUI toolkit and application today.
                  There is only problem. These languages ABIs have no interoperability between them. You cannot write an UI toolkit in Kotlin and hope to use it in Swift or C# or even C++.

Instead C++ ( and C ) are lingua franca and they make it possible to create bindings for various languages. C is much better and easier than C++ in this respect.

The only modern language that can play this trick is Rust.

Comment

X11 only.

Have fun trying to convince Linux developers.

Comment

Working...
                    X