Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.14 Can Create Secret Memory Areas With memfd_secret

Phoronix: Linux 5.14 Can Create Secret Memory Areas With memfd_secret

The "memfd_secret" system call is being added to the Linux 5.14 kernel to provide the ability to create memory areas that are visible only in the context of the owning process and these "secret" memory regions are not mapped by other processes or the kernel page tables...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wouldn't that make it easier to get sensitive data on compromised systems?

Comment

Would the kernel know that a process has such a memory segment, even though the segments pages are not visible to the kernel?

For the sake of security auditing it seems like I might want to know which processes make use of this feature.

Comment

I guess it could be usefull to zero out that part of the memory when process closes before another process reserves that space even on SIGKILL.
        But as people have previously mentioned, that area then becomes target of hackers.

Comment

A very nice feature to hide malware. Root access is not even required.

Comment

tildearrow, you're up

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

tildearrow, you're up
              In fact I already fell asleep by 7am

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                Would the kernel know that a process has such a memory segment, even though the segments pages are not visible to the kernel?

For the sake of security auditing it seems like I might want to know which processes make use of this feature.
                The kernel would have to know for two reasons even more important than just auditing:
                • Limting how much such memory each user/process can allocate (as this memory will be unswappable)
                • Most important: Not allocating that memory for something else.
                There are probably many other things that would break if the kernel didn't keep track of the memory.

On a related note, I don't really see this protection as very useful, as nothing stops the kernel remapping the memory again. Though this can protect against certain classes of information leak attacks and speculative execution bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                  On a related note, I don't really see this protection as very useful, as nothing stops the kernel remapping the memory again. Though this can protect against certain classes of information leak attacks and speculative execution bugs.
                  The whole point is to guard against memory-readout kernel bugs. Bugs happen, and some can be used to read another processes' memory without gaining total control.

No, this doesn't make it so that the kernel can't read the memory at all [1]. It makes it so the kernel can't read the memory by accident.

[1] like SGX, although that has also turned out to be a great vector for malware, and basically totally broken by spectre. Hopefully unmapping the pages makes this a tiny more more spectre resistant. (doesn't help against flaws like MDS)

Comment

But there is already Trusted Computing Module (TPM). Or is this for systems without that?
                    Maybe TPM is better.
                    Or is this just a way to sneak in DRM?

Comment

Working...
                    X