Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left 4 Dead 2 Vulkan Performance With Radeon Graphics On Linux

Phoronix: Left 4 Dead 2 Vulkan Performance With Radeon Graphics On Linux

Last week Valve introduced Vulkan rendering support for Left 4 Dead 2. The L4D2 Vulkan support is similar to that of Portal 2 where DXVK is being leveraged for translating the Direct3D calls to Vulkan rather than relying on their OpenGL translations. For those wondering what this means for L4D2 performance on Linux with modern GPUs, here are some benchmarks of Left 4 Dead 2 when testing the OpenGL and Vulkan rendering options.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You have to benchmark CPU load. DXVK should have less CPU overhead than toGL.

Comment

I was always wondering why valve did not just add a native opengl rendering to Source, instead going with the DX9 to OpenGL in house translator.
      After all Source is very much like "GoldSrc" and that was based on the Quake engine, a engine with various excellent native OpenGL and Vulkan renderer forks.

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post
        No measurable diff with this system.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

well - I guess the freed up cpu resources are used, thats why you end up with more fps under vulkan.

Comment

Any idea why my vulkan performance is less than 1/3 that of OpenGL ?
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Wanted to test this as well but unfortunately , phoronix suite is not working on my system.
              Is just trying to run the tests but it seems the game crashes and it gives an error "the test did not produce a result"
              L4d2 is working perfectly fine on my system both Vulkan and Opengl

Any ideas how to fix this?
              Last edited by wolfyrion; 23 June 2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I noticed the Vulkan mode fixed a shader corruption and performance drop in OpenGL. At last in my current card (RX550), the entire model of zombies from L4D1 became black and fps drops way bellow 60fps, especially when you shoot them.

Otherwise I didn't noticed much difference in performance during playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
                  Any idea why my vulkan performance is less than 1/3 that of OpenGL ?
                  https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...IB-L4D2VULKA83
                  Are you really using KDE4?

Anyway, try to disable windows compositing with Alt+Shift+F12 and give it a try.

Comment

Once you have GPUs with matching results, the CPU is the bottleneck.
                    The lesser CPU overhead is why the Vulkan results yield higher performance. But the CPU still isn't able to keep up.

Comment

Working...
                    X