Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.2 Beta Arrives With Initial Command Pop-Up HUD, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.2 Beta Arrives With Initial Command Pop-Up HUD, Better Performance

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.2 Beta Arrives With Initial Command Pop-Up HUD, Better Performance

Following last month's LibreOffice 7.2 Alpha, the first beta for this open-source office suite update is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see GTK4 starting to be implemented before it fully succeeds GTK3.

Comment

Personally, I don't give a whoop-de-doo about which which version of which toolkit being used, I just care about functionality. Lately, LibreOffice has been making some good progress for me meaning they are getting to the point where I can use it as my daily driver. Now, don't get me wrong, there are some documents where I just have to use MS Office due to crazy formatting which does happen on occasion, but those situations are becoming less and less.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Great to see GTK4 starting to be implemented before it fully succeeds GTK3.
        You hear that, GIMP devs?

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
          ... Lately, LibreOffice has been making some good progress for me meaning they are getting to the point where I can use it as my daily driver. Now, don't get me wrong, there are some documents where I just have to use MS Office due to crazy formatting...
          Gee, and they just got started, too--in 2010, no less (but it's certain that it's going to be more; much more). Perhaps they'll definitely, absolutely "...get to the point..." in another twelve years.

It's common to refer to things which move at this speed as "glacial". Perhaps a new term is needed, which is certain to be immediately recognized by those of us in the high-tech arena. Maybe "LO Development Time"? Naahh, too cumbersome. How about, simply, LOtime. It's shorter than "glacial", and it's totally unambiguous--EVERYONE will understand what's meant by that!

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Gee, and they just got started, too--in 2010, no less (but it's certain that it's going to be more; much more). Perhaps they'll definitely, absolutely "...get to the point..." in another twelve years.

It's common to refer to things which move at this speed as "glacial". Perhaps a new term is needed, which is certain to be immediately recognized by those of us in the high-tech arena. Maybe "LO Development Time"? Naahh, too cumbersome. How about, simply, LOtime. It's shorter than "glacial", and it's totally unambiguous--EVERYONE will understand what's meant by that!
            For me they (OOO, LO) were at that point over a decade ago. Unlike dekernel I was either able to start from scratch or take the time and reformat MS docs that they didn't open properly. Now I'm able to do everything I need to do with LO. I especially like using hybrid PDFs so I can send out a PDF to customers while being able to edit it easily if it needs changes.

But I totally get being stuck with MS Office for the oddball file or two from customers using ancient stuff like the same spreadsheet from 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Way to go pedantic there. Ok, let me be more specific so you can understand my qualifier. In the last year, I would say I have had to use Excel specifically to open/use a spreadsheet from a third part 1 out 100 times. There, better? To me that is pretty darn good when you compare that most of the dev's are working for free for US users. Sheesh, how people can complain and bicker about how others use their free time to help us.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                But I totally get being stuck with MS Office for the oddball file or two from customers using ancient stuff like the same spreadsheet from 1998.
                If you are running current MS Office only you also have this problem from time to time due current MS Office not supporting older formats as well and the fun of how printers with MS Office effect formatting. Fun part here is Current MS Office more likely has trouble with old .doc files to the point it refused to open them claiming they are damaged when they open fine in old MS Office or libreoffice.

Really neither MS Office or Libreoffice is a 100 percent works every time solution for documents customers can send to you the combination of both gets really close.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

If you are running current MS Office only you also have this problem from time to time due current MS Office not supporting older formats as well and the fun of how printers with MS Office effect formatting. Fun part here is Current MS Office more likely has trouble with old .doc files to the point it refused to open them claiming they are damaged when they open fine in old MS Office or libreoffice.

Really neither MS Office or Libreoffice is a 100 percent works every time solution for documents customers can send to you the combination of both gets really close.
                  I agree. That's why Wine and Windows 98 Mode exist

Comment

Working...
                  X