Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modula-2 Programming Language Front-End Still Looking Towards Mainline GCC In 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modula-2 Programming Language Front-End Still Looking Towards Mainline GCC In 2021

Phoronix: Modula-2 Programming Language Front-End Still Looking Towards Mainline GCC In 2021

The Modula-2 programming language developed from the late 70's to 80's might finally see mainline GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) support in 2021...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Modula 2 as a step up from Pascal was great. Once I learned C though, no going back.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
      Modula 2 as a step up from Pascal was great. Once I learned C though, no going back.
      Not sure how going from C to Modula 2 is backwards in any way... But I think most of Modula2's userbase ended up using Free Pascal so I can't blame you

Anyhow, Go combines Oberon and C rather well so you'd do well to check it out once generics are out later in the year.

Comment

Why?

Back in the day RIT was teaching with Modula 2 and honestly I never saw the point. Of course back then we didn't have the huge standard libraries that most languages come with these days.

Comment

To some extent I can understand ISAs from the 1970s (Z80) and 1980s (M68k) still being supported due to a wide range of low-power embedded systems using them, but languages with very little real world use? Specially in what's supposed to be a production compiler suite and not something a maintained and developed for fun by people in their free time.

Comment

I did a term of Modula 2 in the first year of university - although to be honest the best bit was the excellent syntax highlighter for Emacs someone had done. The next year, instead of exploring the OO parts of Modula 2 (or 3) we moved onto the new thing, Java.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

Not sure how going from C to Modula 2 is backwards in any way... But I think most of Modula2's userbase ended up using Free Pascal so I can't blame you

Anyhow, Go combines Oberon and C rather well so you'd do well to check it out once generics are out later in the year.
              C was a dominant language in the Linux/UNIX world. I just wanted to write software, and C is IMO an extremely flexible language. So flexible that ever since it became dominant ppl have been inventing new languages to save us from C's flexibility. Modula or Oberon, one could not always find a compiler for one's platform, and then I liked the C typecast method also.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                C was a dominant language in the Linux/UNIX world. I just wanted to write software, and C is IMO an extremely flexible language.
                Flexibility is a good way of putting it since the more range of motion you have in a given movement, the more muscle you need to recruit to go through that fuller range of motion and the more tension your tendons need to handle.

Often enough, less is better.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Why?

Back in the day RIT was teaching with Modula 2 and honestly I never saw the point. Of course back then we didn't have the huge standard libraries that most languages come with these days.
                  RIT? That's where I learned Modula 2 too.

Comment

I'm holding out for Modula 3 appearing somewhere around 2030 or so.

Comment

Working...
                    X