No announcement yet.

openSUSE FrontRunner Aims To Advance The Distro's Hardware Architecture Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE FrontRunner Aims To Advance The Distro's Hardware Architecture Support

Phoronix: openSUSE FrontRunner Aims To Advance The Distro's Hardware Architecture Support

More information on openSUSE's FrontRunner initiative are now being shared as a rebuild of SUSE Linux Enterprise in the Open Build Service and allowing for staging changes to advance architecture enablment for future Leap releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about support for ARMv9 and RISC-V?

Comment

With that name I would have expected a x86-64-v3 rebuild.

Comment

Is this like Ubuntu HWE or like when Debian adds more architectures?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I think they are different things, Ubuntu HWE is just the kernel stack + Xorg + Mesa, this instead from what I understand, is the rebuilding of packages for new architectures.

Comment

a rebuild of SUSE Linux Enterprise in the Open Build Service and allowing for staging changes to advance architecture enablment for future Leap releases
            Raise your hand if you can make any sense of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I think they are different things, Ubuntu HWE is just the kernel stack + Xorg + Mesa, this instead from what I understand, is the rebuilding of packages for new architectures.
              I know. I just can't tell if they're trying to get newer hardware to work like Ubuntu HWE does, if this is about getting more architectures and devices supported (like all the various ARM devices), architecture variants like ms178 suggested, a mix of all that, or what?

When I last ran OpenSUSE 15.3 my 4650G APU wasn't supported. No driver for the iGPU. That's why my first thought went towards an HWE-like initiative. I know first hand they could use something of the sort.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Raise your hand if you can make any sense of the above.
                ✋ I can.

Comment

Like Debian processor architectures. Not like Ubuntu HWE.

Comment

I know. I just can't tell if they're trying to get newer hardware to work like Ubuntu HWE does, if this is about getting more architectures and devices supported (like all the various ARM devices), architecture variants like ms178 suggested, a mix of all that, or what?

When I last ran OpenSUSE 15.3 my 4650G APU wasn't supported. No driver for the iGPU. That's why my first thought went towards an HWE-like initiative. I know first hand they could use something of the sort.
                    One thing is the hardware support that comes with new kernels, another is the architecture support. Strange that it is not supported, because openSUSE backports new hardware support on the current kernel and Leap 15.3 has been released these days. So I guess your graphics card is very recent for not having support.

Comment

Working...
                    X