Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Posts Latest Linux Patches For Reporting Per-Client GPU/Media Engine Utilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts Latest Linux Patches For Reporting Per-Client GPU/Media Engine Utilization

Phoronix: Intel Posts Latest Linux Patches For Reporting Per-Client GPU/Media Engine Utilization

For two years now Intel open-source engineers have floated patches for reporting per-client engine utilization for showing on an application level how much it's leveraging the Intel graphics render/3D, blitter, and video/multimedia engines. This can be used for some nifty system information reporting like a GPU top or other system monitoring functionality. The latest version of these patches were sent out this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds super useful for easier profiling of multi-process applications like browsers and display servers / Wayland compositors / WMs. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Does AMD have an equivalent?

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        Does AMD have an equivalent?
        Yes, see the discussion in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Yes, see the discussion in the thread.
          Sorry, which thread?
          I can't see it in this thread, or the commit thread, or the linked article on this post.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

Sorry, which thread?
            I can't see it in this thread, or the commit thread, or the linked article on this post.
            The one linked in the article:

Comment

I must be blind as I don't see it. But in any case there is some thing called radeontop that gives some info about what your graphics card is doing but doesn't break it down per application or process. If you are doing a render for example and want to know who gassed first your graphics card or your CPU running radeontop and top will give you a pretty good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                I must be blind as I don't see it. But in any case there is some thing called radeontop that gives some info about what your graphics card is doing but doesn't break it down per application or process. If you are doing a render for example and want to know who gassed first your graphics card or your CPU running radeontop and top will give you a pretty good idea.
                I'm not sure how you missed it, since it's prominently right there in the thread. But here's the direct link to Alex's first message - https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/266083.html The responses to that discuss it more in depth.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I'm not sure how you missed it, since it's prominently right there in the thread. But here's the direct link to Alex's first message - https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/266083.html The responses to that discuss it more in depth.
                  Nice. I like that feature, I didn't know AMD has it hidden somewhere too. I will definitively see and use that next time.

Comment

Working...
                  X