Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loongson 2K1000 Support Merged For Linux 5.13

Phoronix: Loongson 2K1000 Support Merged For Linux 5.13

Support for the Loongson 2K1000 is finally mainline with the forthcoming Linux 5.13 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Every time I see that name, I feel like it's supposed to be "Longsoon"

Comment

even those already dated cpus are still good enough for most of the tasks.

not everybody runs VMs, edits movies or compiles world.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
        Right until I saw your comment I didn't realize they weren't. Always read the name like that

Comment

You've just blown my mind. I always spelled it out in my head like that.

On a side note, anyone knows where I could look into buying one? Last time I looked around, I couldn't find a single place where It was sold. Maybe it's on exclusively chinese websites?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            even those already dated cpus are still good enough for most of the tasks.
            Um...

"The 2K1000 is a 1GHz MIPS64r2 dual-core design."

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            not everybody runs VMs, edits movies or compiles world.
            Well, if a Raspberry Pi v3 is adequate for your needs, this might not disappoint.

I've used many CPUs far slower, in my life. The problem is that modern software is constructed to run on modern CPUs. Some of that is bloat, but some of it is for capabilities we didn't previously have. Either way, such a low-spec CPU would only be interesting for fairly niche use cases -- not general-purpose desktop duty.

Comment

Hey if Linux can run on a MIPS found in an N64 surely God it can run on a MIPS of this caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                Hey if Linux can run on a MIPS found in an N64 surely God it can run on a MIPS of this caliper.
                I think that's not the question. Just getting it to run is a different matter from considering its usefulness.

I don't know exactly why anyone wanted to run the kernel on a N64, but one could conceivably use it to make custom games for that hardware. That might require upgrading its memory to 8 MB, as someone in a previous thread mentioned was possible.

Anyway, I think the obvious motivation is that they used this CPU as a stepping stone towards newer and more powerful CPUs.

Comment

Right until I saw your comment I didn't realize they weren't. Always read the name like that
                  You've just blown my mind. I always spelled it out in my head like that.
                  I hope you all know English is just one language among thousands in this planet ?
                  The very same letters you are permuting are nothing to Chinese. Writing Chinese in Latin alphabet is just some dodge to conveniently express stuff.
                  That on top as if some son of whoever who happens to be somehow long has any meaning at all.

Ils sont foux ces romains.

Comment

Working...
                  X