Turbostat For Linux 5.13 Brings AMD Zen Fix, New Intel CPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbostat For Linux 5.13 Brings AMD Zen Fix, New Intel CPU Support

Phoronix: Turbostat For Linux 5.13 Brings AMD Zen Fix, New Intel CPU Support

The Turbostat utility that lives within the Linux kernel source tree for reporting on CPU topology and various power/frequency metrics has some useful additions pending for the Linux 5.13 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

turbostat has been broken for AMD CPUs since kernel version 5.10. I reported the bug God knows when and it's gonna get fixed only in kernel 5.13 which is going to be released in two months. Meanwhile here on Phoronix forums: "all is perfect in the world of Linux: there are no regressions and broken features and maintainers fix bugs in minutes". Especially funny is that it looks like Linux has no users whatsoever because I struggle to understand why I'm the only person who's reported the issue in kernel's bugzilla. There is a lonely post on LKML though.
    Last edited by birdie; 04 May 2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

My posts are again being deleted despite me reporting the bug and testing the fix.

Meanwhile everyone is welcome to revise Volta's posts, half of which are insults, mockery and derision which I've now reported three times and all of them remain.
      Last edited by birdie; 04 May 2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow

Because you're trying to provoke a.... flamewar again. On every Linux sensors, AMD and NVIDIA threads.
        I do agree that Linux development is slow on that regard, but if you know how to test the patch you probably know how to fix it, so why not do that and then issue a pull request?

Until somebody else reports Volta's posts I will not take action.
        You've made it abundantly clear that people insulting others while not contributing to open source are welcome here, and those who actually contribute and have their own reservations must shut up. OK, point taken.

My only objection is that I have never intended to start flamewars here or anywhere else as I'm not a bloody troll. Good luck with moderating these forums. Frankly speaking I'm appalled by what I'm seeing but Michael seems not to care any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

You've made it abundantly clear that people insulting others while not contributing to open source are welcome here, and those who actually contribute and have their own reservations must shut up. OK, point taken.
          The problem is that even though you do contribute to open-source, you insult other people as well, even before we do it first.
          This is the final post I write regarding this.

Comment

turbostat has been broken for AMD CPUs since kernel version 5.10. I reported the bug God knows when and it's gonna get fixed only in kernel 5.13 which is going to be released in two months. Meanwhile here on Phoronix forums: "all is perfect in the world of Linux: there are no regressions and broken features and maintainers fix bugs in minutes". Especially funny is that it looks like Linux has no users whatsoever because I struggle to understand why I'm the only person who's reported the issue in kernel's bugzilla. There is a lonely post on LKML though.
            Anyone claiming anything is bug free is a moron and certainly Linux is not perfect in any sense of the word but there are scales which lives in the gray and that is what is important in this context. Even tho is true no safe is completely tamper proof i will always prefer to put my valuables in a bank grade safe than in a simple cheap safe because even tho neither are tamper proof one requires a hell of a lot more work than the other and this analogy will summarize this case as well.

So yeah, Linux is not always fixed in minutes but hell i take my chances with it because still beat years or never on Microsoft/Apple side.

So i guess i'm in the middle point here because neither side is 100% true in the sense this is not the common case birdie(Linux fixes a lot of stuff very fast not all as you mention but a lot) but the other side claiming Linux is perfect isn't right either because well there are slips up, regression and etc. still and always will be for one reason or another.

Comment

I apologize. I was just lazy and that's why I didn't report it. I seem to have noticed this three months before your bug report according to this message in the package manager's log:

Code:
              [2020-12-19T16:41:48+0100] [ALPM] downgraded turbostat (5.10-1 -> 5.9-2)
              That date must have been when I noticed it, I have no good excuse for not reporting it, sorry.

Comment

Kudos to the Intel software devs, again. Maybe one day, when AMD finishes paying off their debt, we'll see similar posts from them. AMD does realize all the chiplets they're dumping into the enterprise are most likely running Linux... yes? No? Who dat? Ok.

Comment

Well, for Intel hardware yes, everything is mostly perfect in the world of Linux

For AMD hardware, it's all broken shit, because AMD doesn't give a crap about Linux support.

Comment

My only objection is that I have never intended to start flamewars here or anywhere else as I'm not a bloody troll. Good luck with moderating these forums. Frankly speaking I'm appalled by what I'm seeing but Michael seems not to care any longer.
                    Yeah I agree, Phoronix forums are a cesspool of white supremacists, racists, paranoid schizophrenics and hatemongers. I've literally contributed patches to the Linux kernel to fix AMDs drivers, while rabid AMD fans love demeaning me, insulting me, defending AMDs crap drivers - they're very obsessed and cult-like.

Comment

Working...
                    X