Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Magic Mouse 2, Microsoft SAM Support Added For Linux 5.13

Phoronix: Apple Magic Mouse 2, Microsoft SAM Support Added For Linux 5.13

When it comes to Apple hardware support in the Linux 5.13 kernel not only is support for the Apple M1 SoCs added but the Magic Mouse 2 is also finally being supported in full by the mainline kernel. Plus there are other various interesting HID subsystem updates too this kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The success of linux depends on kids being exposed to it at a young age. The more HID support for peripherals that were designed for small children, the better.

Comment

Microsoft SAM? I can only think of one SAM I have heard of during my whole life....
      soi
      ...yeah, the Windows TTS

Comment

This mouse is the epitome of Apple's engineering moto of "looks before function" in the last couple decades. Is so bad that I think I have never see a mac user with one, all of them preferring the Logitech offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Microsoft SAM? I can only think of one SAM I have heard of during my whole life....
          soi
          ...yeah, the Windows TTS
          Sam & Max?

Comment

I know it's not directly related to the Magic Mouse 2, but some info on its cousin the Magic Trackpad 2 might be of interest for some.

I wanted an external trackpad (only efficient way to use Gnome is through touchpad gestures), one that can be used wirelessly (bluetooth) with a 1-2 weeks battery life but also through USB when needing a charge. After looking it up and setting aside the ones with delimited button areas and hardcoded gestures (jellycomb, Seenda and such) or those with Windows-only support (Brydge w-touch, Silvergear), I ended up buying the MT2 (reluctantly as I'm not a fan of Apple).
            There are bits and pieces of how it is supported on Linux on the Internet but no clear feedback. So here it is, it works beautifully out of the box (Manjaro + 5.12) as much from USB as in bluetooth mode, for 3 or 4 finger gestures included. Thanks to the kernel support and libinput. Basically as well as a laptop touchpad. I ditched the mouse altogether on this setup and use it with Gnome and Budgie.
            The only thing that doesn't work is automatic bluetooth reconnection after turning the device off and back on (save battery during the night). Although I guess it could be solved through a script. Might be annoying when using it with a desktop though if you got rid of the mouse, as you wouldn't have a manual way to pair it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              soi
              ...yeah, the Windows TTS
              Surface to Air Missile
              Stay Away Manjaro
              Secret Agent Man
              Science And Mathematics
              Squirrel Awareness Month

EDIT: And because this just hit me two weeks in a row after posting

Stupid Ass Microsoft

Twice in a row Windows Update tried to install .NET for Windows Next before installing Windows Next. It's 2021. Figure out dependency resolution. Everyone else has.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 30 April 2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Microsoft Sam? Is he related to Microsoft Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  This mouse is the epitome of Apple's engineering moto of "looks before function" in the last couple decades. Is so bad that I think I have never see a mac user with one, all of them preferring the Logitech offerings.
                  I remember buying this Magic Mouse 2 around 5-6 years ago... It was like $120 or something and trust me, it was a bad choice.
                  My hand is too big for it, and the sensor is at the top (instead of being at the center). Plus what if I want to click left and right at the same time? Impossible!
                  I only used it for a few days, and then very rarely since...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    Microsoft Sam? Is he related to Microsoft Bob?
                    More like Clippy being possessed by Satan.

Comment

Working...
                    X