Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" Development Begins

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" Development Begins

Following last week's release of Ubuntu 21.04 "Hirsute Hippo", the Ubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" cycle has now begun...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope for up to date Pipewire as default instead of Pulse Audio. At now I'm using Pipewire and for me it works better than Pulse Audio (I use SSL2+ audio interface as for daily use and recording).

Comment

They need to put in place all the disruptive changes before 22.04 LTS. My list would include PipeWire and as a Kubuntu user Wayland as a default for KDE.

I would also work closely with Valve and Nvidia to make sure this infrastructure works smoothly for gaming, again with target for 22.04 LTS.

Comment

I feel the same about Pipewire and Wayland by default for KDE as well, these would be fantastic changes for Ubuntu to make.

Comment

There's definitely exciting stuff afoot. The next LTS could be a game-changer if the Wayland and GNOME changes enable Vulkan-rendered desktop environments.

I plan on politely pestering some of my favorite projects to get GTK4/PipeWire front-ends working so we're well-poised for this.

Comment

AFAIK Ubuntu is working on GNOME only ... I am using Kubuntu on STS as superior DE with current stack - but for LTS users Kubuntu is really inferior to KDE neon which is LTS (but starting with x.x.1, e.g. 22.04.1 to have a stable base) with rolling KDE stack - which has not created any problem using Focal for me - while Kubuntu had several small problems ... (DE-wise of cause, the base is the same - and Focal was not usable for me till 20.04.1 anyway ... so KDE neon was for me the start using Focal.
            From my point of view seeing what KDE achieves right now for Wayland there is still a good way to go - and using it for a stable distribution should be a decision of KDE developers ... thus it might be better to not switch to Wayland now. But we will see when it will be tried as default ...
            Anyway Wayland had no advantages right now but only better paths in the future ... so there is no hurry at all - most part of X will have to stay for a very long time even after that switch.
            For me it's GCC 11 - as 11.1 was missed by 21.04 (as expected) - and I would wish for a fresh TeXLive ... which is normal for October, but really rare for April edition.

Comment

There are still many programs which don't support wayland, only X. Ok, you can use them via xwayland, but what's the point? So I really don't care what is default option in an OS/distro, I just want stuff to work

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
                There are still many programs which don't support wayland, only X. Ok, you can use them via xwayland, but what's the point? So I really don't care what is default option in an OS/distro, I just want stuff to work
                The point is that Wayland is the future and having the session itself be Wayland provides considerable security advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
                  To gain the advantages of Wayland where you can, incentivize software to implement native Wayland support, complete the transition to Wayland, and eventually allow distros to ship without X. As Wayland becomes the norm, so too will Pipewire. Linux distros then become more secure, lighter-weight, and more feature-rich.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

The point is that Wayland is the future and having the session itself be Wayland provides considerable security advantages.
                    wayland has been "the future" for more than a decade and its still not "the future". maybe will soon be the past hopefully

Comment

Working...
                    X