Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13 To Add Perf Support For Intel Alder Lake

Phoronix: Linux 5.13 To Add Perf Support For Intel Alder Lake

Queued this week into perf/core ahead of the imminent Linux 5.13 merge window is perf subsystem bring-up for Intel's next-gen Alder Lake processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the start of Intel un_f***ing itself. It will take an additional 3 years, but the market is already behind Pat Gelsinger in a way that no CEO of Intel has had since Andy Grove, so that will give Pat and Intel some cover for the next 3 years or less to get 7nm out the door at global scale.

I say this as an inveterate AMD fanbois. But Pat Gelsinger is the man for Intel as this time. No one else could have come close. For all who don't know, but Pat Gelsinger is the "Lisa Su" of Intel. He was hired by Intel at the age of 18 with only an Associate Degree from a small technical college. He went on to co-design the 386 and ACTUALLY co-wrote the book on 386 programming. After that, Intel made him chief architect for the 486 and after that Intel made Pat the very first Chief Technical Officer of Intel. He was the CEO of EMC and the CEO of VMWare.

I say all is this as a warning and prophecy to AMD. Intel has their Lisa Su now. You have 3 years to secure your future for the rest of the decade. It will not be enough time.

#1. Drop ROCm now and embrace OneAPI and make it a BETTER OneAPI for AMD CPUs nd GPUs.

#2. Give free hardware and software including AMD optimized OneAPI to every single Comp Sci and Comp Engineering school in the country

#3. Buy a BIOS company. Doesn't matter which. Just buy one. Optimize it for AMD products only. Then FORCE vendors to ONLY use AMD BIOS on ALL AMD BOARDS BOTH OEM AND 3RD PARTY BOARD MAKERS WITH EVERY OPTION AVAIALBLE AND TURNED ON FULLY SUPPORTED.

#4. Immediately...like TODAY...dust off your ARM license and start competing with Apple and Ampere and Fujitsu in the ARM consumer and server space. You WILL NOT defeat Intel in x86 long term. But you CAN carve a VERY BIG slice off the ARM market from Nvidia. DO NOT LET NVIDIA WITH THEIR ARM BASED GRACE CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs TAKE CONTROL OF THAT MARKET !! An AMD ARM SiP with HBM, IF, CCIX, AMD CDNA GPU, ARM DSP, NUERAL NET ACCELERATOR and an on board Xilinx FPGA would be KILLER !! Do...THIS....NOW !!

If you don't, Lisa, then AMD by 2030 will be a byword in the industry and you'll be right back where you found AMD in 2015.

Comment

It will be nice to not have to write 14nm++++++++++++++ a year from now.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        It will be nice to not have to write 14nm++++++++++++++ a year from now.
        That's unlikely

That process will stay with us for quite some time, just like the previous ones did.

Comment

Don't count on it. When Intel starts crowing about their "5nm" node, it will actually be 7nm ++++++++++. And I'll be here to trumpet that fact.

Comment

I just bought an XPS13 and had considered waiting for Alderlake, but I think I’ll sit this one out and let someone else beta test this hybrid architecture. I’ll be back in five years when hopefully AMD/Intel/ARM are all good hybrid choices for laptops.

Comment

Hybrid ARM has been a thing for 10 years;
              Last edited by elatllat; 24 April 2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                This is the start of Intel un_f***ing itself. It will take an additional 3 years, but the market is already behind Pat Gelsinger in a way that no CEO of Intel has had since Andy Grove, so that will give Pat and Intel some cover for the next 3 years or less to get 7nm out the door at global scale.

I say this as an inveterate AMD fanbois. But Pat Gelsinger is the man for Intel as this time. No one else could have come close. For all who don't know, but Pat Gelsinger is the "Lisa Su" of Intel. He was hired by Intel at the age of 18 with only an Associate Degree from a small technical college. He went on to co-design the 386 and ACTUALLY co-wrote the book on 386 programming. After that, Intel made him chief architect for the 486 and after that Intel made Pat the very first Chief Technical Officer of Intel. He was the CEO of EMC and the CEO of VMWare.

I say all is this as a warning and prophecy to AMD. Intel has their Lisa Su now. You have 3 years to secure your future for the rest of the decade. It will not be enough time.

#1. Drop ROCm now and embrace OneAPI and make it a BETTER OneAPI for AMD CPUs nd GPUs.

#2. Give free hardware and software including AMD optimized OneAPI to every single Comp Sci and Comp Engineering school in the country

#3. Buy a BIOS company. Doesn't matter which. Just buy one. Optimize it for AMD products only. Then FORCE vendors to ONLY use AMD BIOS on ALL AMD BOARDS BOTH OEM AND 3RD PARTY BOARD MAKERS WITH EVERY OPTION AVAIALBLE AND TURNED ON FULLY SUPPORTED.

#4. Immediately...like TODAY...dust off your ARM license and start competing with Apple and Ampere and Fujitsu in the ARM consumer and server space. You WILL NOT defeat Intel in x86 long term. But you CAN carve a VERY BIG slice off the ARM market from Nvidia. DO NOT LET NVIDIA WITH THEIR ARM BASED GRACE CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs TAKE CONTROL OF THAT MARKET !! An AMD ARM SiP with HBM, IF, CCIX, AMD CDNA GPU, ARM DSP, NUERAL NET ACCELERATOR and an on board Xilinx FPGA would be KILLER !! Do...THIS....NOW !!

If you don't, Lisa, then AMD by 2030 will be a byword in the industry and you'll be right back where you found AMD in 2015.
                1,) i agree with drop ROCm but not for OneAPI until at least the damn thing is in a workable and stable state and can be easily build able and present in all distros otherwise you gonna end up with yet another ROCm.

2.) Agreed

3.) I would say no to this, AMD should go the Apple way here and simply remove the bios concept from motherboard and use something like OpenBMC or EFI with the ability to tune stuff from within the OS(including the overclock parts ofc), this way they remove all the vendor specific trash on Bioses for good

4.) Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat
                  Hybrid ARM has been a thing for 10 years;
                  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE
                  Yes but they haven’t been very successful in laptops yet have they? Only Apple has made it work.

Comment

#4. Immediately...like TODAY...dust off your ARM license and start competing with Apple and Ampere and Fujitsu in the ARM consumer and server space. You WILL NOT defeat Intel in x86 long term. But you CAN carve a VERY BIG slice off the ARM market from Nvidia. DO NOT LET NVIDIA WITH THEIR ARM BASED GRACE CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs TAKE CONTROL OF THAT MARKET !!
                    There is definitely room for some great consumer and server ARM options, but I would not count out x86 just yet. AMD shelved K12 in favor of Ryzen and Epyc, and that decision may have saved the company. Maybe they can jump into the fray, but Ryzen and Epyc are holding their own in consumer and server markets. Competing directly with Ampere, Fujitsu, Nvidia, Amazon, Qualcomm (Nuvia) and others will not be easy.

AMD doesn't need to defeat Intel with x86. Just carving out market share is fine. They can do that by not having another Bulldozer flop moment, and using multiple nodes at TSMC to address both budget and high-end markets.

An AMD ARM SiP with HBM, IF, CCIX, AMD CDNA GPU, ARM DSP, NUERAL NET ACCELERATOR and an on board Xilinx FPGA would be KILLER !! Do...THIS....NOW !!
                    They could throw everything and the kitchen sink onto a chip, or make custom mix and match with chiplets.

It looks like AMD will just use RDNA/CDNA GPUs for both graphics and machine learning acceleration. I don't know what you mean exactly by neural net accelerator, but AMD could eventually go for "neuromorphic" like Intel is trying with Loihi. I don't think there's any point in building brain-like computers until we have true 3D processors, since spiking neural architectures will be well suited to stacking with their low power consumption.
                    Last edited by jaxa; 25 April 2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X