KDE Sees Another Wayland Session Crash Fix, SDDM To No Longer Require Root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Sees Another Wayland Session Crash Fix, SDDM To No Longer Require Root

Phoronix: KDE Sees Another Wayland Session Crash Fix, SDDM To No Longer Require Root

KDE developers continue polishing up their Wayland support and making other improvements to their desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"KDE Plasma Wayland session will no longer crash when dragging a file over the panel."

I think this is a serious problem with desktop environments. You don't have robust, independent services and applications that can survive the crash of a "central" component. Apparently Wayland didn't fix this, it only made it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      "KDE Plasma Wayland session will no longer crash when dragging a file over the panel."

I think this is a serious problem with desktop environments. You don't have robust, independent services and applications that can survive the crash of a "central" component. Apparently Wayland didn't fix this, it only made it worse.
      There is actually work in progress for allowing apps to survive KWin crashing on Wayland. This is something we never had in the X11 session, where apps can't survive the X server crashing.

Of course, the X server doesn't crash very often these days. But it's older than I am; KWin will one day reach this level of robustness too.
      Last edited by ngraham; 24 April 2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

KDE, the only free enterprise level desktop environment where serious people can get real work done. The only reason it is not adopted by the big distributors is that it has strong and opinionated leadership on how things work and where they are heading. Kudos to all people working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

There is actually work in progress for allowing apps to survive KWin crashing on Wayland. This is something we never had in the X11 session, where apps can't survive the X server crashing.

Of course, the X server doesn't crash very often these days. But it's older than I am; KWin will one day reach this level of robustness too.
          Apps always survive when you kill KWin (and Plasma Shell) on X. I know that because I've had to do kwin_x11 --replace & or kquitapp5 plasmashell && plasmashell & in terminal for years (like a decade) after resuming my PC because I've often got broken desktop with blurred icon's labels or title bars. Problem disappeared around nVidia's 460.xx driver.

Comment

Without being disrespectful: I have the impression, that Plasma isn't very stable. I ask myself, what is the procedure when they find a bug? Are they just debugging and fix the error or are they trying to reproduce the error by an unit or integration test and then fix the bug?
            And are they using development methods like TDD, mutation driven testing¹, what static analyzer tools are they using etc.?

¹ https://software.rajivprab.com/2021/...t-good-enough/

Comment

Thank you and all the KDE developers for all the hard work you all have been doing.

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                Without being disrespectful: I have the impression, that Plasma isn't very stable. I ask myself, what is the procedure when they find a bug? Are they just debugging and fix the error or are they trying to reproduce the error by an unit or integration test and then fix the bug?
                And are they using development methods like TDD, mutation driven testing¹, what static analyzer tools are they using etc.?

¹ https://software.rajivprab.com/2021/...t-good-enough/
                Plasma is very stable. Maybe not as stable as Gnome, but stable enough to act as a great everyday desktop and not be perceived us unstable by the average Joe. And when you consider the magnitude of tweakability it enjoys (and consequently has to support) over its competition, it suddenly becomes very clear why it's also somewhat less stable.

The only thing KDE could do better is addressing the various minor bugs and inconsistencies across the board in a more organized way. To be sure, this can wait for after Wayland support is done and enabled by default, not to mention that they've already been fixing such minor bugs and inconveniences with each new release. But after Wayland is done, they should really consider doing something like the "1000 papercuts" initiative that Ubuntu did for itself back in the day, and focus into making KDE really rock-solid.

Also, I assume that the KDE developers are experienced enough to know what they need to do and use to develop their software.

Comment

Finally some activity in SDDM, this is the major news for me this week!

Comment

Of course, the X server doesn't crash very often these days.
                    Thats because it isn't used as much any more.

Comment

Working...
                    X