Blender Planning Vulkan Support This Year, Other Exciting Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender Planning Vulkan Support This Year, Other Exciting Improvements

Phoronix: Blender Planning Vulkan Support This Year, Other Exciting Improvements

Blender has an exciting year still ahead with a road-map they just published that does include Vulkan API support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

they are kind to late for vulkan support ?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      But at least it will happen. Better late than never...

Comment

IMO it's more important to have Vulkan Ray Tracing and Vulkan Compute support. To replace OptiX and CUDA/OpenCL backend.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          IMO it's more important to have Vulkan Ray Tracing and Vulkan Compute support. To replace OptiX and CUDA/OpenCL backend.
          I could see this being big, but it should be an additive, I would assume nvidia's vendor specific stuff to preform better in some workloads and worse in other. im sure it could be scene dependant, but that alone would give a massive performance benefit to amd gpu's and intel ones (RIP poor people, I was once you). (and again im sure nvidia could benefit too)

Comment

Vulkan compute and/or Vulkan RT for Cycles, along with Vulkan for Eevee would probably help a lot; and on macOS (for those of you who care about that) it could improve things in combo with MoltenVK.
            Last edited by microcode; 20 April 2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

To replace OpenCL? Hell yeah.
              To replace CUDA? in terms of compute probably it won't matter or even will be worse.
              To replace Optix with vulkan raytracing? Definitly won't replace, as OptiX also features very good denoiser, but I wonder if Blender could leverage that in viewport to certain extend, or use ray tracing-rasterization hybrid aproach for very fast render.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

To replace OpenCL? Hell yeah.
                To replace CUDA? in terms of compute probably it won't matter or even will be worse.
                To replace Optix with vulkan raytracing? Definitly won't replace, as OptiX also features very good denoiser, but I wonder if Blender could leverage that in viewport to certain extend, or use ray tracing-rasterization hybrid aproach for very fast render.
                The ultimate goal is to end the NVIDIA's vendor lock-in.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                  What 3d content creation software supports Vulkan at the moment ?

Comment

Wait, so this has nothing to do with rendering?
                    Come on, I thought Blender was working on a Vulkan Cycles renderer......

Comment

Working...
                    X