Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.0.1 Released, 20.3.5 Issued To Close Out The Older Series

Phoronix: Mesa 21.0.1 Released, 20.3.5 Issued To Close Out The Older Series

For those that tend to wait until at least the first point release before moving to a new Mesa feature release, Mesa 21.0.1 is out today while Mesa 20.3.5 was also released as the last of that Q4'2020 driver series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

haven't even gotten mesa 21.0.0 yet on arch... been stuck in testing since its release. hopefully since 21.0.1 just came out that will be heading to stable soon if arch dev's have been holding off for 21.0.1. checking out the bug reports for 21.0.0 testing on arch i didn't see any complaints so i don't really know why its been held up for so long. don't mean to be impatient but there's been fixes and changes in 21 that would benefit me greatly since i have an rdna 2 card. don't really want to run git. like having pacman take care of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
      haven't even gotten mesa 21.0.0 yet on arch... been stuck in testing since its release. hopefully since 21.0.1 just came out that will be heading to stable soon if arch dev's have been holding off for 21.0.1. checking out the bug reports for 21.0.0 testing on arch i didn't see any complaints so i don't really know why its been held up for so long. don't mean to be impatient but there's been fixes and changes in 21 that would benefit me greatly since i have an rdna 2 card. don't really want to run git. like having pacman take care of it all.
      Then get it from testing. Enabling testing in Arch is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Then get it from testing. Enabling testing in Arch is easy.
        i guess i could enable it and only install the corresponding mesa packages, then disable testing. didn't think of that.

Comment

been stuck in testing since its release.
          It's longtime that i'm waiting for it too, Arch maintainers doing bad these days, I don't know why and whats the problem, for example new version of conky released a month ago with very important bugfixes, but they didn't released it yet, not even in tesing repo .

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
            It's longtime that i'm waiting for it too, Arch maintainers doing bad these days, I don't know why and whats the problem, for example new version of conky released a month ago with very important bugfixes, but they didn't released it yet, not even in tesing repo .
            How is it doing bad? All you see is the effects of not maintaining the community repos. You have two options, make a difference (by actually research and help them somehow). Archlinux is mostly community based, and as a community refers to, you either wait until someone step up or you step up to help the community.

The hindsight is simple like that, don't have time to do this.. well that's a valid reason but screaming/complaining into the void on a Phoronix forum I assure you, it's not the most productive way to change the Archlinux community.

Comment

i guess i could enable it and only install the corresponding mesa packages, then disable testing. didn't think of that.
              That's what i did. You don't need to get all packages from testing, just update only the ones you want. Mesa doesn't have any updated dependencies so you can just get it without much fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                Arch maintainers typically update packages very fast, but some packages are not important enough and they take their time. This has always been the case. If you absolutely need the latest version, you have many ways of installing it yourself, including the ABS system. You could get the official Arch package script (PKG), modify it with the new source, version numbers, hashes, etc, and most of the time it should build and update just fine.

Comment

Pretty sure Arch almost always waits until .1 on mesa.

Comment

Stuck on 19.0.6 here after the 19.1 VA-API VPP+encode hang...

Comment

Working...
                    X