Plan 9 Copyright Transferred To Foundation, MIT Licensed Code Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan 9 Copyright Transferred To Foundation, MIT Licensed Code Released

Phoronix: Plan 9 Copyright Transferred To Foundation, MIT Licensed Code Released

Nokia Bell Labs announced today that the copyright to the Plan 9 operating system software has been transferred to the Plan 9 Foundation for all future development of this novel distributed operating system that originated in the 80's...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anything keeping the 9front guys from contributing back their work?

p.s. also saw a few GUI suggestions on the GSOC list... Might want to hold off on that until golang 1.18 is out and people start working on a gui toolkit.

p.p.s. 9front license was rebased mit: http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/rev/87d8e72ffb5c
    Last edited by c117152; 28 March 2021, 06:06 PM. Reason: post p.s.

Comment

"ho knows, perhaps Plan 9 will become a part of the emerging distributed cloud infrastructure that will underpin the coming industrial revolution?
      I think that should be "Who"

And now it is simply left for me to smash the metaphorical magnum of champagne as Plan 9 sets sail on the next leg of her journey, to parts unknown."
      Or maybe Plan 9 is a siren.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I think that should be "Who"

Can I report a typo?

Comment

If other old projects could "take the pledge" sharing code to be released under a public license say 15-20 years -- that'd be awesome.

This is good news but I can't imagine how it fits into the current technosphere in a useful way.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            If other old projects could "take the pledge" sharing code to be released under a public license say 15-20 years -- that'd be awesome.

This is good news but I can't imagine how it fits into the current technosphere in a useful way.
            It doesn't. Like Multics and GWBasic it has historical value and it's good to preserve it as such, but it doesn't have any actual use.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Plan 9 was a teamwork between American and German developers, the Americans asked:
              - Do we have a plan?
              - Nein
              - Ok, Plan 9, what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Plan 9 was a teamwork between American and German developers, the Americans asked:
                - Do we have a plan?
                - Nein
                - Ok, Plan 9, what is it?
                That was so terrible it's hard NOT to love it! xD

Comment

I have taken a direct hit.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Can I report a typo?
                    Not when we're talking about hos.

Comment

Working...