Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Foundation Wants To Help Water Farms From The Cloud

Phoronix: The Linux Foundation Wants To Help Water Farms

Of the many possible areas for advancing Linux and open-source, the latest project being embraced by the Linux Foundation is Liquid Prep for helping farmers water their crops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't know why but this reminds me of the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) Program.
    That didn't go well.

Comment

Hilarious headline.

You're right, though, this seems less about Linux and more about IBM putting a friendly spin on either selling water monitoring hardware or harvesting water data from across the world and selling that or something else. A company like IBM wouldn't do this without being able to monetize it so they're gonna be getting money out of this from somewhere.

Not that this isn't a noble idea they're trying and wanting to do, but Linux doesn't seem to be the agenda here. To me their goal should be getting those illiterate farmers running Linux and into solar running their own moisture software locally and sharing that globally; not using Linux as the server backend to hardware that's tied to an Android app that the illiterate farmers use. I figure if water is an issue, sunlight likely isn't.

Comment

"We wanted RAIN clouds!"

Comment

And here was I thinking that farms already get water from the clouds ...

Comment

The Open Farmer Foundation

Comment

Big mistake! Biiiig mistake. Meteorological clouds, I-clouds - huge difference.

Comment

I didn't know you could grow water. I looked but, I can't find any water seeds on Amazon and the local farm supplier just laughed at me

Comment

No, thank you. The real killer is the industrial farming mindset, not water managent.
                  Hi

Comment

Working...
                  X