No announcement yet.

AMD Sends In Aldebaran, FreeSync HDMI, Other Graphics Changes For Linux 5.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends In Aldebaran, FreeSync HDMI, Other Graphics Changes For Linux 5.13

Phoronix: AMD Sends In Aldebaran, FreeSync HDMI, Other Graphics Changes For Linux 5.13

AMD on Friday submitted a big batch of AMDGPU driver changes to DRM-Next ahead of next month's Linux 5.13 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well of course they'd get FreeSync HDMI wired up for the Disney Marvel Comic Universe.

Comment

At last working Freesync over HDMI! Outside of Sway, which other wayland manager supports freesync? Has Gnome completed the support work?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        At last working Freesync over HDMI! Outside of Sway, which other wayland manager supports freesync? Has Gnome completed the support work?
        Sway is the only one I know of. In GNOME it's WIP: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1154

Comment

Hm, this unfortunately doesn't include the i2c fixes necessary for Radeon RX 6000 series from https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/ltuik...-rework-luben/ ... currently I can't use OpenRGB because of this unfortunately. But I'm not sure if it'd go in via this tree.
          agd5f - is it likely that the i2c stuff will go into 5.13?

Comment

Typo: "contention protection" I assume content protection was meant.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              KDE is actively working on it, and trying to convince the gatekeepers if the Wayland protocol that yes, some people want tearing and/or untimed frames.

Comment

Will these backported to 5.10 LTS or no way ?

Comment

in some ways i kinda wish amd's open drivers where like the way drivers are "normally" on windows. separate from the kernel and can just download the newest ones. always being able to get the bug fixes and new stuff a lot faster. i feel like gpu's are too dynamic with changes and fixes. a lot of those changes and fixes being really important too.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                    in some ways i kinda wish amd's open drivers where like the way drivers are "normally" on windows. separate from the kernel and can just download the newest ones. always being able to get the bug fixes and new stuff a lot faster. i feel like gpu's are too dynamic with changes and fixes. a lot of those changes and fixes being really important too.
                    You have plenty of options. If on Ubuntu use a ppa, or switch to a rolling distro like Archlinux, or compile them manually. Contrary to popular belief, outside of linuxnext and (mostly early) release candidates, kernels are relatively stable even if brand new.

Comment

Working...
                    X