No announcement yet.

Zink OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Still Has ~200 Patches To Land, More Performance Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Still Has ~200 Patches To Land, More Performance Work

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Still Has ~200 Patches To Land, More Performance Work

Mike Blumenkrantz who has been working under contract for Valve as part of their Linux graphics driver initiatives has provided a fresh status report on Zink as the Mesa Gallium3D effort for implementing OpenGL APIs atop Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am curious how much juice we can get from zink. Would it be 80% of native opengl ? or 90% ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Eagle2 View Post
      I am curious how much juice we can get from zink. Would it be 80% of native opengl ? or 90% ?
      I think it depends a lot on the application/game. In specific cases, Zink can already surpass OpenGL performance. That said, I presume it'll stabilize between 80% and 90% performance on most applications across a varied selection of GPUs. This is still good enough for running legacy applications, since they're often less demanding than modern ones.

Comment

I'm old enough to remember a few months ago when people were telling me it would never get much faster than it was back then, and when I was saying that was a really premature thing to say. The glxgears thing is hilarious, should make future Zink releases bug-compatible with the pathological behaviour of glxgears, for the meme.

Comment

Working...
        X