Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 Performance Is Looking Stable, In Good Shape

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 Performance Is Looking Stable, In Good Shape

With that nasty swapfile issue behind us, the Linux 5.12 kernel is looking to be in good shape and on my tests so far across a number of different Intel and AMD systems I am not seeing any major surprises...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re the Radeon 5000 series, there does seem to be issues with that series and hangs/crashes, on both Linux and Windows. Shortly after I upgraded from an XFX RX 550 to a Saphire RX 5700XT, I started getting green screen hard crashes that lead to my system restarting. Oddly, when the system restarts, I see error messages about the CPU before the login screen comes up. I usually restart and then don't see them. I did manage to capture the messages at one point, and others had pointed to this being more related to the 5000-series GPUs, which aligned with when I started seeing the issues. It usually happens when I am watching streaming videos, particularly full screen, when working on other things on another screen. I also get a lot more Cinnamon freezes, especially since upgrading to the latest Mint release.

Comment

Experiencing amdgpu hangs also on 5.11.x. 5.10 series works fine. Should spend more time testing, mainly use intel igpu now.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Experiencing amdgpu hangs also on 5.11.x. 5.10 series works fine. Should spend more time testing, mainly use intel igpu now.
        Meanwhile my nVidia 1650 with Linux 5.11 on openSUSE Tumbleweed (officially supported by them here: https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/x86_64/) functions flawlessly...

Look, I really appreciate all the work AMD is doing on Linux, but getting GPU hangs on a stable version of the Linux kernel should simply not happen nowadays!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Meanwhile my nVidia 1650 with Linux 5.11 on openSUSE Tumbleweed (officially supported by them here: https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/x86_64/) functions flawlessly...

Look, I really appreciate all the work AMD is doing on Linux, but getting GPU hangs on a stable version of the Linux kernel should simply not happen nowadays!
          Agreed. I'm stuck on Mesa 19.0 because 19.1 and later hang when trying to record the screen using VA-API+kmsgrab or darmstadt.

Comment

Working...
          X