Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has A Very Exciting Announcement Next Week

Phoronix: AMD Has A Very Exciting Announcement Next Week

AMD has announced that next week on 15 March they will be hosting a digital launch event for the EPYC 7003 "Milan" processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm kind of curious who will take the performance and $/perf crown: Epyc 7003 or threadripper pro?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
      I'm kind of curious who will take the performance and $/perf crown: Epyc 7003 or threadripper pro?
      Depends. If a TR Pro is in a motherboard with 8 memory channels then it will perform better due to higher clock speeds.

Comment

They announced 5nm Genoa in 2019. Kinda wondering what the status of that fella is.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Depends. If a TR Pro is in a motherboard with 8 memory channels then it will perform better due to higher clock speeds.
          Even with the zen3 instruction per cycle advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

i think the TR Pro... because epyc is dual socket and more expensive...
            for me it is very strange why amd does have 2 competition names for similar products.
            just name the dual socket system and cpus epyc and name the single socket systems threadripper.
            server brand epyc is fine workstation band thradripper brand.

i do have 2 threadripper systems... and i like the name more than epyc. but one is clear threadrippers are in fact epyc LOL

they should make the same name jokes on the GPU side: build a backport of RDNA2 architectur to 600mm² 12nm+16GB gddr5
            and call it Heaterripper 700 watt... sell it as room heater for winter instead of a GPU...

this would be so much fun.. 1 person say: i bought the Radeon 6800XZ the second person answer: i bought the Heaterripper 700watt to heat my room because its cold winter.

remember negative press PR is also press PR... all the hate for the Heaterripper 700watt and people still buy it to say fuck you to the green CO2 satanists.
            There are single socket epycs (their name ends with P, e.g. the 7702P). They are significantly cheaper than threadripper pros with same number of cores. Also, epyc motherboards are about half the cost of threadripper pro boards, e.g. the AsRock Rack ROMED8-2T.
            Last edited by mppix; 08 March 2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I'd wager that it'll be Threadripper Pro by a small margin. Gotta give a desktop and workstation user an actual reason to buy that kind of hardware.

I might be in the minority here, but something with multiple GPUs attached would be a pretty nice twist over what I expect will be news about updated Zen cores and models with more cores available.

Just think: DDR5+multiAPU=1080p60 streaming game server. Figure out how to do add an iGPU for every 8c16t and Sony and Microsoft should be all over that shit. Especially Nintendo...All their stuff runs on emulators which are great for streaming game services. Could likely get away with an iGPU per 4c8t or 6c with Nintendo models.

But all these "we wanna render shit and send it to you" services need something like that. Plus, it's either that or we're gonna have to compete with each other, miners, scalpers, AND streaming services for GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                They announced 5nm Genoa in 2019. Kinda wondering what the status of that fella is.
                Intel announced Ice Lake back at CES in January 2020 (14 months ago). Kind of wondering where that is too.

The problem is these guys are trying to out announce and out leak each other.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Intel announced Ice Lake back at CES in January 2020 (14 months ago). Kind of wondering where that is too.

The problem is these guys are trying to out announce and out leak each other.
                  The difference being that one vendor is actually delivering on the announced/leaked products, which are meeting and exceeding expectations - while it's an empty bag of nothing from the other vendor. Genoa was announced for 2022. Ice Lake is *years* behind schedule, and when announced, was only projected to improve IPC 18% over Sky Lake. Yawn.
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 08 March 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    for me it is very strange why amd does have 2 competition names for similar products.
                    just name the dual socket system and cpus epyc and name the single socket systems threadripper.
                    There is some overlap but the two brands really are aimed at different markets even if there is common technology. The binning is also quite different - Epyc is aimed at maximizing perf/watt while Threadripper more about perf/socket.

As others have said the distinction is not really around single vs dual socket.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 08 March 2021, 11:33 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X