Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15.3 Beta Begins

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15.3 Beta Begins

OpenSUSE Leap 15.3 Alpha started rolling out in December while today the beta builds have begun for this next openSUSE Leap installment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael you left out the most important part: The T-Shirt.

Entering this beta phase, testers are encouraged to test the migration from Leap to SLE. People testing the beta are encouraged to record their Leap Beta testing efforts on the following spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=801313279

Leap beta testers have an option to receive a T-shirt, so make sure to fill in all the proper information and bug reports to get one. Then send an email to ddemaio (at) opensuse.org with your address, size and name corresponding to the spreadsheet. Please make the subject title “beta test t-shirt”.

Comment

From my personal experience, openSUSE has been rock solid. I started with version 42.2 on my workstation, and every upgrade has been effortless. Kudo to SUSE team!

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
        From my personal experience, openSUSE has been rock solid. I started with version 42.2 on my workstation, and every upgrade has been effortless. Kudo to SUSE team!
        The only thing keeping me from trying this out is their kernel version. I have a Renoir APU. Those aren't supported by Linux 5.3 and I have no idea if they've backported enough or if I'll have to enable experimental support from the kernel command line. If they'd adopt something akin to Ubuntu's HWE both OpenSUSE and SLE would be a lot more appealing to me. A KDE based distribution with both a stable base and updated kernels and drivers? Yes please. I'm sure something like that probably exists in one of their user made repos before someone chimes in with that suggestion.

Back when I had an older system where every distribution worked perfectly SUSE, both Open and SLE, just worked good. If I wasn't a Phoronix reader saying things like "Oh snap I need to try this ACO stuff out. Requires custom mesa build? No Problems. To the Pac Cave, makepkg" and instead just used my OS I probably would have stuck with them. Damn does makepkg make things easy.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The only thing keeping me from trying this out is their kernel version. I have a Renoir APU. Those aren't supported by Linux 5.3 and I have no idea if they've backported enough or if I'll have to enable experimental support from the kernel command line. If they'd adopt something akin to Ubuntu's HWE both OpenSUSE and SLE would be a lot more appealing to me. A KDE based distribution with both a stable base and updated kernels and drivers? Yes please. I'm sure something like that probably exists in one of their user made repos before someone chimes in with that suggestion.

Back when I had an older system where every distribution worked perfectly SUSE, both Open and SLE, just worked good. If I wasn't a Phoronix reader saying things like "Oh snap I need to try this ACO stuff out. Requires custom mesa build? No Problems. To the Pac Cave, makepkg" and instead just used my OS I probably would have stuck with them. Damn does makepkg make things easy.
          In your case, wouldn't you be running Tumbleweed anyway? For Leap, there are official repos like...

I ran Tumbleweed on my personal systems, and hadn't needed updated kernels/mesa on my HTPCs when I had them on Leap, so YMMV.

OpenSUSE typically does a terrible job in highlighting some of the interesting offerings like Argon (think Neon with a Leap base instead of Ubuntu). I think they should hire someone for North America brand awareness.

Comment

Kernel in the OpenSuse is heavily patched with back-ports, so it is far from being vanilla kernel... I really recommend giving it a try especially with the 15.3 version. I think it's the distribution you want.

Comment

If they'd adopt something akin to Ubuntu's HWE both OpenSUSE and SLE would be a lot more appealing to me. A KDE based distribution with both a stable base and updated kernels and drivers? Yes please. I'm sure something like that probably exists in one of their user made repos before someone chimes in with that suggestion.
              They backport much of the Hardware enablement even to Kernel 5.3. If that's not enough for you, you can still use a current kernel from an official(!) repo in openSUSE Leap. This is what I do, without problems.

Comment

To all of y'all:

Their list includes 47,309 patches. My apologies if I'd rather have them give a statement like "Our kernel is patched so it is equivalent to Linux 5.9 (pulling numbers)" versus having to read through 47,309 patches or blindly test with fingers crossed.

Read though 47,309 patches. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Comment

I just wanted to give OpenSUSE a try on my workstation after the disappointing RH/CentOS thing. What would you suggest me to replace my Fedora workstation?

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
                    They backport much of the Hardware enablement even to Kernel 5.3. If that's not enough for you, you can still use a current kernel from an official(!) repo in openSUSE Leap. This is what I do, without problems.
                    Is it without problems, when you try to run VMWare, VirtualBox, NVidia drivers, etc?

Comment

Working...
                    X