Gallium Nine Still Seeing Improvements In 2021 For Direct3D 9 Within Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium Nine Still Seeing Improvements In 2021 For Direct3D 9 Within Mesa

Phoronix: Gallium Nine Still Seeing Improvements In 2021 For Direct3D 9 Within Mesa

While VKD3D has been receiving much attention these days for implementing Direct3D 9/10/11 atop the Vulkan API that can be consumed in a driver agnostic manner, Gallium Nine as a D3D9 state tracker going back years for Mesa continues to receive new work too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VKD3D has been receiving much attention these days for implementing Direct3D 9/10/11
    DXVK?

Comment

Are you able to do any benchmarks comparing Gallium9 and DXVK? Curious to see such results.

Comment

The memory usage issue was a massive problem for The Sims 3. It would crash so much. I haven't seen it happen with DXVK but my wife mostly stopped playing it since we switched to that.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post
          Are you able to do any benchmarks comparing Gallium9 and DXVK? Curious to see such results.
          Would love to see that as well.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

If benchmarking were to be done, it'd be most interesting when comparing a low end CPU to a high-end CPU. Seems to me DXVK is only useful when the CPU has enough threads. Gallium Nine might not be multi-threaded (I think?) but there's also no overhead. So depending on the system, one is better than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              If benchmarking were to be done, it'd be most interesting when comparing a low end CPU to a high-end CPU. Seems to me DXVK is only useful when the CPU has enough threads. Gallium Nine might not be multi-threaded (I think?) but there's also no overhead. So depending on the system, one is better than the other.
              on older/slower gpus (especially integrated graphics, like in A8-7600), performance difference between nine and dxvk can be huge. dxvk simply isn't optimized for integrated graphics or older gpu architectures, and because it targets vulkan, such optimizations are required. nine works on another level.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Gallium Nine might not be multi-threaded (I think?) but there's also no overhead. So depending on the system, one is better than the other.
                Nine has CSMT and my impression is that DXVK doesn't cause noteworthy overhead (it rather reduces it). I haven't tested slow CPUs though.
                Would be really interesting if Axel Davy's memory management improvements can really make more 32 bit games playable (with high visual fidelity) in Wine. This would really be a great accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  The memory usage issue was a massive problem for The Sims 3. It would crash so much. I haven't seen it happen with DXVK but my wife mostly stopped playing it since we switched to that.
                  i guess memory usage can be lowered by reducing texture quality

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    i guess memory usage can be lowered by reducing texture quality
                    We tried that. It still crashed sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X