Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.19 Released With Small Protocol Updates, Fixes

Phoronix: Wayland 1.19 Released With Small Protocol Updates, Fixes

Wayland 1.18 released back in February 2020 while now nearly one year later it's been succeeded by Wayland 1.19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Surely there is thousands of bugs and features that need to be implemented for Wayland? like screen casting/recording

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
      Surely there is thousands of bugs and features that need to be implemented for Wayland? like screen casting/recording
      That's not something to be implemented "for Wayland". It's a compositor feature.

Comment

Nvidia usage on Linux is in decline, so bad Wayland support with the blob is not a big deal in the long term. It will only speed up people switching to more Linux friendly hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

That's not something to be implemented "for Wayland". It's a compositor feature.
          And so what? I have to write my recording/casting code 10 times now? One time for each compositor?

And where are the permission-based global key listening features? Like to trigger hotkeys?

Comment

Originally posted by middy
            i will never use amd again for my gpu. if i ever lose nvidia support on linux i would just go back to windows. amd burned me multiple times and i will never give them my money again. this is why i hope intel's dedicated gpu's don't suck because nvidia needs an actual competent competitor.
            Intel results with Xe look bleak so far (still nothing close to high end cards). I hope they do emerge as a good alternative, we need more GPUs with open drivers. But AMD are pretty good as it is. Not sure what kind of problems you had in the past, today their Linux support is great. AMD will totally crush Nvidia among Linux user base, that's already inevitable.

Comment

Why did Linus buy an nVidia card? I get the RX5700 cards had blank screen issue but I've heard the new 6000 series are off to a stable start..

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Nvidia usage on Linux is in decline, so bad Wayland support with the blob is not a big deal in the long term. It will only speed up people switching to more Linux friendly hardware.
                OMG!!

The user of an OS with less than 1% desktop market share speaks!! Nvidia must be shaking in their boots at the prospect of more fan-tics choosing Intel/AMD over it.

Sacrasm aside, wake me up when Linux on the desktop becomes an OS the average Joe and his grandma can use and which has tons of software including games.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Sacrasm aside, wake me up when Linux on the desktop becomes an OS the average Joe and his grandma can use and which has tons of software including games.
                  Sleep well, no one will complain about you sleeping

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                    Why did Linus buy an nVidia card? I get the RX5700 cards had blank screen issue but I've heard the new 6000 series are off to a stable start..
                    Introduction What is this machine? CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0815JJQQ8/?tag=level1techs-20 Motherboard: MSI Creator TRX40 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B081FXBWTD/?tag=level1techs-20 AMD GPU, because open source, obviously: Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5600 XT - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R25Z94/?tag=level1techs-20 Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B087D7KNL9/?tag=level1techs-20 Extra Pure Wings 140mm fan - h...

Quite a few of the lead Linux kernel developers these days are using AMD cards including RX 5600 XT with Greg Kroah-Hartman.

Normally, Torvalds would pop into his local Fry's. But in these pandemic times, he ordered everything from Amazon. Here's the complete list of parts.

Linus Torvalds most recent system is running on amd integrated graphics in the thread-ripper mentions no GPU card at all this does make sense.

Linus is one of the lead tick and flick. So he has a dell laptop with intel integrated graphics that for testing intel driver stuff. Linux main threadripper is for building and he does put different combinations of GPU in it.

RX5700 black screen was not common on rolling release distributions with Linux that run newer Linux kernel and newer firmware than most other distributions. Yes Linux kernel core developers are more likely to use rolling release distributions. Yes the black screen with the RX5700 was common with those using debian/ubuntu... and Windows. Linux kernel developers in this case was not running into the same problem as everyone else.

The reality gfunk is a lot less of the Linux core developers are running Nvidia these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X