Netgate Announces pfSense Plus With Greater Divergence From pfSense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netgate Announces pfSense Plus With Greater Divergence From pfSense

Phoronix: Netgate Announces pfSense Plus With Greater Divergence From pfSense

Netgate has announced pfSense as a rebranded and improved edition of this popular BSD-based firewall/network OS platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we need the GPL license.

Comment

So if features from the plus version is "donated" to the community edition. Then the community edition should contain the most tested and stable features right?! .... I use OPNSense myself I am not attacking pfSense because of this. And OPNSense will do the same for sure, but is not this a bit ironic still?....
      Last edited by waxhead; 21 January 2021, 05:39 PM. Reason: (Fixed typo)

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        So if features from the plus version is "donated" to the community edition then the community edition should contain the most tested and stable features right?! .... I use OPNSense myself I am not attacking pfSense because of this. And OPNSense will do the same for sure, but is not this a bit ironic still?....
        In subsequent releases, pfSense Plus will increasingly diverge from pfSense CE - leveraging a newer and more robust secure networking software stack, which allows for feature, performance, and manageability expansion well beyond the limitations of the current stack. With that being said, there will be a no-charge version of pfSense Plus available for home and lab users with all the functionality.

Comment

Well I guess pfSense has a desire to become irrelevant outside a strict commercial realm where they sell you their hardware / support...

Comment

Do you know any good Linux-based alternative? Maybe IPFire? VyOS lacks web-gui ...

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              Well I guess pfSense has a desire to become irrelevant outside a strict commercial realm where they sell you their hardware / support...
              There's still a free version

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                Do you know any good Linux-based alternative? Maybe IPFire? VyOS lacks web-gui ...
                There are many distros around OpenWRT with different frontends, mainy providing uci(default cli interface) and graphical ones like Luci, Gargoyle, and there are more UCI frontends.
                Last edited by evil_core; 21 January 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                  There is OPNsense, that got forked a long time ago that's more open and has more features.

Comment

move beyond the limitations of pfSense open source software
                    So if it's the open source license holding them back (not sure this is credible), how can they then donate those features back to CE? If it's not the license, the open source version is limited only by the amount of work they willing to put into it. This makes no sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X