No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 To Ship With Standalone XWayland, LLVM 12 + Other Changes Approved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 34 To Ship With Standalone XWayland, LLVM 12 + Other Changes Approved

Phoronix: Fedora 34 To Ship With Standalone XWayland, LLVM 12 + Other Changes Approved

Fedora 34 remains under active feature development and another batch of features were unanimously approved of by the Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    X is dead.
    X is not dead (yet). However it has been placed on respite care.

Comment

Meanwhile people are still running Debian on their desktops/notebooks...

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        Meanwhile people are still running Debian on their desktops/notebooks...
        Whats wrong with this? Once the new debian release is out in a few months, it will be more up to date that Ubuntu LTS.

The Old days with jokes of Debian being long dead passed a good few years ago and Debian is on a regular cadence now.

Comment

This is going to be exciting release.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            This is going to be exciting release.
            Yup, it also is probably the big fedora release that all the RHEL crew seem to be targeting their features for.

(Maybe Fedora 34[+mix of F35] -> Centos Stream 9 -> RHEL 9 ? )

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              X is dead.
              Not until I can run Wayland sanely. Still had random crashes with the default graphics stack with a RX 580 on F33, and of course a crash with Wayland on GNOME equals everything going with it. And I don't know how anyone deals with the cursor not being on its own thread, unless people just don't run demanding games or do anything requiring high CPU or GPU usage.

Comment

So does this allow X apps to run under a Wayland environment or Wayland apps under X...or am I completely off the page? Please note that this is a serious question, and I am not trying to flan any flames here.

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
                  So does this allow X apps to run under a Wayland environment or Wayland apps under X...or am I completely off the page? Please note that this is a serious question, and I am not trying to flan any flames here.
                  X apps under wayland, without needing all of X.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

X apps under wayland, without needing all of X.
                    I was assuming that was the case based upon the article, but I just wanted to make sure. Thank.

Comment

Working...
                    X