No announcement yet.

Even With The New Year's Holidays, KDE Still Saw Some Improvements This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even With The New Year's Holidays, KDE Still Saw Some Improvements This Week

Phoronix: Even With The New Year's Holidays, KDE Still Saw Some Improvements This Week

While development on KDE (and other open-source projects too) was lighter this week as a result of the Christmas and New Year's holidays, the KDE desktop still saw some refinements this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> modifying the context menu

Sounds neat. I wish this feature was available for browsers and generally other programs. Some menu entries are just blocking workflow and sometimes get accidentally triggered.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I find on resource limited systems (HDD's in laptops are the prime example here), all those menu options take time to load or parse their focussed task in to the menu. Being able to reduce them would be as you say, an improvement to workflow.
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        > modifying the context menu

Sounds neat. I wish this feature was available for browsers and generally other programs. Some menu entries are just blocking workflow and sometimes get accidentally triggered.
        I'm currently setting up a Kubuntu box for my elderly mother, and the more things she doesn't have any use for that I can remove from the UI in front of her, the better.

(Heck, for my own systems, I can *tolerate* UI cruft well enough, but should I really have to?! )

KDE/Plasma is a very featureful DE, and that is a good thing (I periodically try numerous other DEs and they all tend to miss some very good feature or other that KDE/Plasma supplies) but the downside of having every feature you could want, is also having a bunch you would rather be able to hide, if not remove completely. And those two sets will be quite different for every user (my mum's and my sets don't overlap too well, for example, and I have a significant list of things to turn on/off just as I hand the system over to her). So more control of exactly what features are visible or even present (with some well-considered defaults), is always a good thing in my mind.

(Mum is not exactly a computer-dummy, either, as long as things are kept to around Macintosh-6 levels of features and complexity ! She does better than roughly half the undergrad millennials I work with, who can be very 'web-savvy, but not so hot around a desktop filesystem system, for example!)
        Last edited by Viki Ai; 03 January 2021, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post

I'm currently setting up a Kubuntu box for my elderly mother, and the more things she doesn't have any use for that I can remove from the UI in front of her, the better.

(Heck, for my own systems, I can *tolerate* UI cruft well enough, but should I really have to?! )

KDE/Plasma is a very featureful DE, and that is a good thing (I periodically try numerous other DEs and they all tend to miss some very good feature or other that KDE/Plasma supplies) but the downside of having every feature you could want, is also having a bunch you would rather be able to hide, if not remove completely. And those two sets will be quite different for every user (my mum's and my sets don't overlap too well, for example, and I have a significant list of things to turn on/off just as I hand the system over to her). So more control of exactly what features are visible or even present (with some well-considered defaults), is always a good thing in my mind.
          Not to mention context menu item's explanation, or context; for example, cut, copy and paste. To a new user, that's a weird thing to comprehend. Like a mouse when you first find out its name, where are the scissors and glue!? Or "Copy to 'abstract location'". And then for it to change the moment you click on something else.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post

(Mum is not exactly a computer-dummy, either, as long as things are kept to around Macintosh-6 levels of features and complexity ! She does better than roughly half the undergrad millennials I work with, who can be very 'web-savvy, but not so hot around a desktop filesystem system, for example!)
            Well, much of the work that went into KDE 5 (and Frameworks) was about making it more modular. So there is already quite a bit of leeway wrt what you will install and what not. Of course it doesn't go as far as installing each and every menu item, but I think KDE's modularity is already second to none.

Comment

Working...
            X