Linux 5.12 Could Support Intel's Proprietary HDR Backlight Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 Could Support Intel's Proprietary HDR Backlight Interface

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 Could Support Intel's Proprietary HDR Backlight Interface

It didn't land for Linux 5.11 but it looks like Linux 5.12 could end up supporting Intel's "HDR Backlight Interface" for helping newer Intel laptops with their backlight controls where they don't comply with VESA specifications but rather catering to Intel's proprietary interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But why yet another backlight interface? To control multiple backlights, sure, but...
    Why is VESA not doing anything about it and creating a new standard instead of letting this ultra-closed proprietary thing be the standard?

Comment

Because Intel can. Not everything has to make sense. And maybe it's for some profit for Intel to make their own crap instead of just working together with others to expand existing Standards

Comment

Ugggghhh. Why Intel, whyyyyy?

Comment

It can be as proprietary as they want as long as it can be managed with /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight

Comment

It is for OLED displays, don't mistake it with current implementation. I am using first version of this patch series in my custom kernels.

Comment

I don't really get the moaning. The standards aren't really there so vendors are kinda on their own for the moment. These devices will never support the standard interfaces retroactively, so I don't see what's wrong about supporting them in the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                I don't really get the moaning. The standards aren't really there so vendors are kinda on their own for the moment. These devices will never support the standard interfaces retroactively, so I don't see what's wrong about supporting them in the driver.
                The moaning is about the proprietary implementations, not the driver support for those implementations. In this case, looks like Intel created the proprietary implementations.

Comment

Working...
                X