Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX 6800 XT Seeing Some Slight Gains With Linux 5.11

Phoronix: Radeon RX 6800 XT Seeing Some Slight Gains With Linux 5.11

While the Linux 5.11 merge window is only half-way through with prominent pull requests like the DRM / graphics driver updates already have been merged some of the testing has already begun at Phoronix of this new kernel. With the Radeon RX 6800 XT "RDNA 2" graphics continuing to mature, we are seeing slight uplift in some benchmarks when moving from Linux 5.10 stable to Linux 5.11 Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if only there was stock available anywhere.

Comment

From what I could test, RDNA2 cards run really well on Linux already. Certainly the best AMD Linux launch with FOSS drivers so far.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        From what I could test, RDNA2 cards run really well on Linux already. Certainly the best AMD Linux launch with FOSS drivers so far.
        Too bad it was paper launch as well.

Comment

I wait for 6700, but it looks like I may wait "little" longer than I thought. I think that stocks of those cards will be also very small during few months.

Comment

wow, that seems to be a huge uplift..
            Now they just need to check why other cards don't benefit of it, and ...make it happen

Comment

Good news, they will be in great shape by the time I can find one

Is there any announcement on when regular production will start?

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                Is there any announcement on when regular production will start?
                Regular production started before launch. I'll answer the "when will production volumes increase ?" question instead.

I think quick answer is "as soon as the committed deliveries for consoles start to go down from peak the freed-up capacity goes into CPUs and GPUs". I don't know any specifics but my guess would be that we are already past that point in terms of wafer starts, and CPU availability already appears to be improving... although a wafer of CPUs probably yields >10x the number of chips we get from a wafer of GPUs.

I stress wafer starts because it's 3-4 months between wafer start and chips out.
                Last edited by bridgman; 22 December 2020, 04:43 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I think quick answer is "as soon as the committed deliveries for consoles start to go down from peak the freed-up capacity goes into CPUs and GPUs". I don't know any specifics but my guess would be that we are already well past that point in terms of wafer starts, and CPU availability already appears to be improving... although a wafer of CPUs probably yields >10x the number of chips we get from a wafer of GPUs.
                  I stress wafer starts because it's 3-4 months between wafer start and chips out.
                  i think we have other factors to like patent fees for GDDR5/6/6x....
                  AMD did an impressive job in put infinity cache into this calculation and this opens up for more options.
                  for example in the low-cost sector of GPUs... why not build GPUs with DDR4/5 (not GDDR5/6) to save the patent fees ? yes DDR4/5 alone should be slow but combined with infinity cache the result should be good.
                  AMD could even build GPUs with the ability to upgrade the DDR5 memory if more vram is needed.
                  this also would make it possible to build GPUs with 256GB vram or more and i am sure some people could use that.
                  DDR5 is at "DDR5 supports a speed of 51.2 GB/s per module" per 64bit memory interface at 256bit interface this should be 204,8 GB/s
                  with infinity cache this should be not bad at all.

"although a wafer of CPUs probably yields >10x the number of chips we get from a wafer of GPUs."

yes this is because of the chiplet design and the infinity cache ist a good move into chiplet designs.

AMD could build a VR-Games dual gpu card with 2 gpu cores in 7nm/5nm and 2 infinity caches VR should be easily be able to perform in a dual gpu card with 1 gpu per eye.

is it possible to get GDDR6x and even better HBM2 vram combines with infinity cache?

in my point of view AMD could easily improve the 6900XTX with water cooler and a 256mb infinity cache instead of only 128mb...

yes i know you can not talk about future product... and i do not ask to

but you can say for sure if AMD want to build low cost patent fees free gpus?
                  Last edited by qarium; 21 December 2020, 06:12 PM.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post

Too bad it was paper launch as well.
                    I think a lot of production capacity has been reserved to produce new PS and XBOX consoles.

Comment

Working...
                    X