Fedora Shifting Their Git Repositories To "Main", Some To "Rawhide"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Shifting Their Git Repositories To "Main", Some To "Rawhide"

Phoronix: Fedora Shifting Their Git Repositories To "Main", Some To "Rawhide"

The Fedora Project is the latest open-source software project working to migrate their Git repositories off using the existing default branch name of "master" and instead using "main" but for some repositories will be "rawhide" where it better aligns with the usage in Fedora Rawhide packages to their development development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora is offensive to folks who dislike hats.

Comment

main is alright and all - but they could have used "fedora" as their default branch

Comment

I long ago (maybe 10 years or so) switched to using 'trunk' for trunk to distinguish it from branches. I don't understand the controversy; naming an arbitrary branch 'master' when it's in no way the master branch but a non-definitive copy of some upstream branch makes little sense to me. The 'rawhide' name for the rawhide branch is an example of an excellent naming convention.

Comment

That is the urgent and critical fix the world was waiting for.

Comment

I wonder what they'll rename Rawhide to, if, as I expect, it is rightfully objected to by Hindus and vegans. "Undigested Grass Clippings" would be a nice alternative name, and would honor cattle.

Comment

As it was already written: "Their rationalization is what angers me to my core. They imply that we IT geeks and nerds have no culture and their critical theory - post modernist bullshit will just trample over our culture and redefine our words and their meaning!"

Comment

Another reason not to use Fedora.

Comment

Waste of time.
                  Idiots are everywhere.

Comment

I'm not against this, but it doesn't feel like a good use of developer time. I imagine a very small number of individuals were offended by the primary branch being called 'master'.

Comment

Working...
                    X