AMDVLK 2020.Q4.6 Released With New Vulkan Extensions, Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2020.Q4.6 Released With New Vulkan Extensions, Performance Tuning

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2020.Q4.6 Released With New Vulkan Extensions, Performance Tuning

AMD has released the newest open-source snapshot of their official AMD Vulkan "AMDVLK" driver for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't have Twitter so you can add one extra vote to RADV. In regards to Vulkan I have all three installed and for the most graphically intensive of games I'll test them all and use whichever nets the most FPS, but RADV runs by default.

Comment

I've just switched to RX5700XT yesterday and it's my very first exposure to AMD GPU on Linux. While I've been kind of following what's happening there, I feel lost in terms of different drivers available and how they can be utilized.

Is there a good read about it? Is it configurable which one is use?

I'm running Fedora 33 with mesa 20.2 and apart from radeontop I didn't find any tools to work with gpu just yet (like greenwithenvy, sysfs exposure of nouveau, nvidia control center). Any advice?

Comment

Sweet.

Race between RADV and AMDVLK devs

I wonder what kind of performance improvements we are talking about.

Comment

Would be awesome to see difference in Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

AFAIK it uses Vulkan, works really well under wine, and has support for variable rate shading. I am not sure if wine already done plumbing for this extension, but probably yes.

Comment

Originally posted by agurenko View Post
            I've just switched to RX5700XT yesterday and it's my very first exposure to AMD GPU on Linux. While I've been kind of following what's happening there, I feel lost in terms of different drivers available and how they can be utilized.

Is there a good read about it? Is it configurable which one is use?

I'm running Fedora 33 with mesa 20.2 and apart from radeontop I didn't find any tools to work with gpu just yet (like greenwithenvy, sysfs exposure of nouveau, nvidia control center). Any advice?
            You need to install CoreCtrl:
            dnf install corectrl

To tweak mesa install adriconf.

Comment

Originally posted by baxeno View Post

You need to install CoreCtrl:
              dnf install corectrl

To tweak mesa install adriconf.

Thanks a lot, that's a good start!

Comment

I don't have twitter, I'm using RADV.

Comment

I have twitter and I'm using all three drivers thus I can't select only one in a poll.
                  I use all three and all of them are crap.

Comment

Working...
                  X