Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Continue To Impress On Linux

Phoronix: The AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Continue To Impress On Linux

It's been just over one month since AMD launched the Ryzen 5000 series as the first processors part of the Zen 3 family. The Linux performance continues to be terrific with the Ryzen 5600X / 5800X / 5900X / 5950X parts in our continued benchmarking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking at the individual results makes me wonder if certain workloads just aren't very optimized for greater than 12 cores; especially for multimedia workloads. Whatever the case, very interesting results between the 5900x and 5950x.

Comment

Everyone keeps talking about how great these are. I sure wish they were in stock somewhere so I could actually buy one.

Comment

You know what would be really useful - a geometric mean that excludes all the tests that do not scale with core count.

Including the results from tests that do not scale well or at all only diminishes the informativeness of the overall comparison, as at least in my opinion, people looking into buying the 12 or 16 core parts are mostly interested in workloads that do scale quite well.

A simple way to do it would be to exclude all tests where the 16 core doesn't score more than... say 30% better than then 6 core.

Everyone keeps talking about how great these are. I sure wish they were in stock somewhere so I could actually buy one.
        Did you really try all that hard? They are available, but the stock is always low, and you have to catch a fresh shipment. I was able to get a 5900x just a few days ago, and I am from basically Nowheresville. It was "available" back then, today it says "limited availability", it was available a couple of weeks back as well, so they do get shipments, but the batches are rather small and sell out quickly.
        Last edited by ddriver; 09 December 2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

... if you can find them

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
            ... if you can find them
            What is aliexpress...

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

What is aliexpress...
              Sure, it seems that one can get them over there at scalper prices (e.g., a $299 Ryzen 5600x for ~$390). If one's in the US, there's custom fees as well.

As for warranty, I guess I don't expect one.

Comment

I'm so confused about all this talk of temperature monitoring being available from 5.10 on. Doesn't seem to work with my 5800X, at least nowhere near as much as the 3800X on the same motherboard (which has the Nuvaton SuperIO chip that plays well with Linux).

This is all I get:

Code:
                k10temp-pci-00c3
                Adapter: PCI adapter
                Tdie: +58.2°C (high = +95.0°C)
                Tctl: +58.2°C

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post
                  I'm so confused about all this talk of temperature monitoring being available from 5.10 on. Doesn't seem to work with my 5800X, at least nowhere near as much as the 3800X on the same motherboard (which has the Nuvaton SuperIO chip that plays well with Linux).

This is all I get:

Code:
                  k10temp-pci-00c3
                  Adapter: PCI adapter
                  Tdie: +58.2°C (high = +95.0°C)
                  Tctl: +58.2°C
                  That appears to be a temperature, no?

Comment

Originally posted by [B
                    [email protected]][/B]Everyone keeps talking about how great these are. I sure wish they were in stock somewhere so I could actually buy one.
                    I just purchased one myself. You need to be subscribed to a stock notification bot like Brobot. Have all your payment and shipping stuff set up on Amazon, ensure you are logged in, and then be ready to click “buy it now” as soon as you are notified. The only other way is to run a purchasing bot to do it for you.

I had to wait approximately 12 days in order to get both my Ryzen 5900x and my Radeon 6800 after joining this group and subscribing to notifications. It’s not that bad if you are persistent.

Comment

Working...
                    X