Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KVM For Linux 5.10 Brings New "TDP" MMU To Help VMs With Hundreds Of vCPUs, TBs of RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVM For Linux 5.10 Brings New "TDP" MMU To Help VMs With Hundreds Of vCPUs, TBs of RAM

Phoronix: KVM For Linux 5.10 Brings New "TDP" MMU To Help VMs With Hundreds Of vCPUs, TBs of RAM

The Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is seeing plenty of improvements with the Linux 5.10 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I run firefox on linux at home and have this same "extreme contention"

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
      I run firefox on linux at home and have this same "extreme contention"
      Maybe shitty distro or drivers. Runs perfectly fine in Fedora with AMD and Wayland. It's much more responsive than Firefox in Windows 10 on the same machine.

Comment

Not sure that Firefox has a damn thing to do with this announcement. in fact, it doesn't.

That said...this is BIG NEWS for the Linux KVM. 5.10 is going to be a big jump in Linux capability with all the updates and additions I've seen so far. I'm already enjoying performance uplifts on my AMD Bristol Ridge (Carrizo refresh) APU equipped desktop and laptop. By the time Ubuntu 21.04 comes around it'll will have at least kernel 5.11 in it along with the 5.10 add ons. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and whatever Fedora version will be in 2022 are going to be for the first time the platforms that really could honest-to-God be the Linux platforms to help grandma or grandpa or even normal folks jump from Windows or Mac to Linux, particularly Ubuntu 22.04. They will also be a great jumping off point to build on for when PCIe5, DDR5, CXL, GEN-Z and AMD's Infintiy Fabric/Architecture rolls out in 2022. THAT...will be a gamechanger going throughout the rest of the decade. The amount and size of datasets that can be ingested and moved at speed with the above mentioned technology improvements as well as the Linux kernel plumbing improvements like Google just did to the KVM are REALLY going to blast open some doors and create new ones to blast going forward through the 2020's.

Comment

Working...
        X