Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Finally Kills Gen10/Cannonlake-Specific Graphics Code From Their Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Finally Kills Gen10/Cannonlake-Specific Graphics Code From Their Linux Driver

Phoronix: Intel Finally Kills Gen10/Cannonlake-Specific Graphics Code From Their Linux Driver

Given that Intel never shipped a production "Cannon Lake" CPU with its Gen10 graphics enabled, Intel's open-source driver developers have finally removed all Gen10-specific code from their Linux OpenGL/Vulkan drivers in Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That I3 8121U would make a neat collector's item, or something to display in a computer museum.

I do have idle curiosity on whether the integrated graphics were all actually borked, or if Intel just fused them off functional or not because of the yield issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
      That I3 8121U would make a neat collector's item, or something to display in a computer museum.

I do have idle curiosity on whether the integrated graphics were all actually borked, or if Intel just fused them off functional or not because of the yield issues.
      I have a NUC with one actually. I got it specifically to work on optimized AVX-512 code. Back then, Skylake Server had heavy frequency scaling when touching zmm registers, so it was clear that this wasn't the preferred platform on which to develop that code. At the time, the i3 8121U was the only 10nm AVX-512 silicon available! Currently it sits under my couch hooked up to the projector using... you guessed it: a discrete AMD GPU, rather than the disabled integrated Intel one.

Comment

They are trying to pretend Cannonlake never happened.

Comment

Working...
        X