No announcement yet.

Pitivi 2020.09 Video Editor Released With Better Stability, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitivi 2020.09 Video Editor Released With Better Stability, Many New Features

Phoronix: Pitivi 2020.09 Video Editor Released With Better Stability, Many New Features

Pitivi 2020.09 is now available (well, actually, was tagged ten days ago but only announced today) as the first release for this GNOME video editor solution since Pitivi 0.999 back in August 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to follow these movie editors years ago and despite them claiming becoming more stable with each update release they were still far from usable. I'd only listen to the opinion of someone who does this for a living, tries out Pitivi and reports back.

Comment

I'm very happy with Kdenlive, which itself was updated some weeks ago.

Comment

For those looking for open source video editors, Olive is worth checking out as well: https://olivevideoeditor.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mike456 View Post
          I'm very happy with Kdenlive, which itself was updated some weeks ago.
          I have no experience in content creation, I knew what I wanted to do, looked for some tutorials in youtube and managed to do what I wanted with Kdenlive successfully, everything went smoothly 👍🏻

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            I used to follow these movie editors years ago and despite them claiming becoming more stable with each update release they were still far from usable. I'd only listen to the opinion of someone who does this for a living, tries out Pitivi and reports back.
            I'm really in doubt who is brave enough to be an early adopter of pitivi. When I was trying 0.995 It crashed everyday and may ruin my whole afternoon's effort.
            Stability should be production applications' top priority, and unfortunately pitivi failed to meet this requirement.

Comment

Eh! Amazing that some posts failed to bother trying the new release of Pitivi via Flatpak by talking about other video editor.
              Notable changes are:
              - New interactive tutorial for new users
              - Improved and more intuitive transformation layout allowing keyframe on any clip including text
              - Improved Drag and Drop
              - Simplified effect library layout
              - Simplified render dialog with two presets (DVD and Youtube), selection of quality from low to high and toggle advanced functions for customization

What are missing:
              - Stabilizer for some shaking clips
              - Text editor could include more typography effects (still unable to edit outlines, shadow)

Overall
              A very good video editor aimed to usersz looking for quick composition like story telling or documentary.

Comment

Exactly my experience with them as well. "More stable" may well be true, but when the starting point is "it crashes every 5 minutes", an improvment to "crashes every TEN minutes" instead just means it now loses 5 minutes more work each time.

Teams either build quality software from the start, or they don't. A team that has repeatedly shown it thinks releasing garbage is an acceptable way of working will never change that mentality unless it gets new leaders who believe otherwise. Without that it's just lip service at best, and DIStrusting it is the only sensible approach until the actions have been shown to match the words for long enough for such teams to earn some credibility.
                It CAN happen, but it's rare that it actually does: once you have a culture of "meh, it's good enough" in place, it's VERY hard for a team to break out of it.

Comment

I used to follow these movie editors years ago and despite them claiming becoming more stable with each update release they were still far from usable.
                  This remind me about Novacut Kickstarter, that never become usable (or stable) in first place.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I even asked people to publish news about this project, some probably backed this project and lost money, so I feel bad about this one. But I also believed and I also lost money.

Comment

Shotcut works best for my usecase. Pitivi and OpenShot were unstable and/or resulted in "crackling" audio. I'm still missing some Adobe-Premiere-Pro features, but I don't want to go back to dual-booting.

Comment

Working...
                    X