DMEMFS Is A Proposed Virtual File-System For Linux To Help Save Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMEMFS Is A Proposed Virtual File-System For Linux To Help Save Memory

Phoronix: DMEMFS Is A Proposed Virtual File-System For Linux To Help Save Memory

Tencent developers have proposed "DMEMFS" as a virtual file-system with the intent of helping to save system memory on large servers such as in public cloud environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't have any comment on the technology, but something has been bugging me since I read the article and I just figured it out. It's the MEM in the middle. The rest of the acronym uses a single letter per word; D, F, & S, but MEM, nope, we're special.

Why isn't it called DMFS? Then we could nickname it the Dungeon Master File System which is kind of appropriate since its use is for virtual machines and sys-admins could pretend to be DMs since they're literally controlling other people's virtual worlds.

SA -- 3d20 Nice. And then you double clicked IE instead of Chrome and all your data was lost with a BSOD

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I don't have any comment on the technology, but something has been bugging me since I read the article and I just figured it out. It's the MEM in the middle. The rest of the acronym uses a single letter per word; D, F, & S, but MEM, nope, we're special.

Why isn't it called DMFS?
      why ext4fs isn't called e4fs?

Comment

Yes. Surely we need to add yet another virtual file-system to solve our problems...
        Why not two, while we are at it?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          Its official name is ext4 and not ext4fs. The ext family is one of the rare file systems to not have "fs" at the end. Some others being Reiser3, Reiser4, UDF and FAT
          Last edited by phuclv; 10 April 2022, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            Because it would really acronym to FEFS since the official name is Fourth Extended File System.

To add to what phuclv said:

The "ext" part is an abbreviation and not part of an acronym that most other file systems use like ZFS, HFS, JFS, NTFS, and BTRFS.

Comment

That's some serious nitpicking...

Comment

I totally don't understand the purpose of this feature. Do they have some ramdisk-heavy workload(possibly DAX as well)?

But is it worth it? Couldn't we use huge pages so we only use a few struct page per ramdisk?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  That's some serious nitpicking...
                  Me, them, or a little of both

Comment

For me it sounds a lot like an unswappable tmpfs which always uses ram regardless how much it is used.

Am i wrong? What are the benefits (besides saving a kernel struct per page?) what would be the speed gsin - if any

Comment

Working...
                    X