Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 13 Released With Performance Improvements

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 13 Released With Performance Improvements

PostgreSQL 13.0 is out this morning as the latest major update to this widely-used relational database server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is beyond my comprehension how this project can still operate without an issue tracker in 2020. It is my only pet peeve with postgres. That and what a sh*tshow the launch of pgadmin4 was (much better now but still has weird quirks).

Comment

Ran into these nice, detailed PDFs on HN recently, detailing changes as versions come:

9.6: https://www.slideshare.net/noriyoshi...-with-examples
      10: https://www.hpe.com/content/dam/hpe/...20170522-1.pdf
      11: https://h50146.www5.hpe.com/products...20180525-1.pdf
      12: https://h50146.www5.hpe.com/products...20191011-1.pdf

The PDF for 13 was for version beta1: https://www.hpe.com/content/dam/hpe/...20200527-1.pdf

Though I don't significant changes have been made in the intermediate time.

Comment

I am sure all old school database admins and sysadmins love PostgreSQL, but as a webdev database baby, I think the user space is terrible, it got utils without the pg_ prefix, and it is not well structured like Git or dotnet which has multiple utilities under one wrapper utility. It also got this vanity PostgreSQL License of its own instead of having a similar but more established, common license.

I think they ought to re-license it under a more common license, and fix the userspace tools to be more friendly.

Comment

PostgreSQL should absorb CockroachDB already.

Comment

Michael pgbench now have an option to create the tables as partitioned tables, should be interesting to test the overhead of it and how it improves scalability of it

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I am sure all old school database admins and sysadmins love PostgreSQL, but as a webdev database baby, I think the user space is terrible, it got utils without the pg_ prefix, and it is not well structured like Git or dotnet which has multiple utilities under one wrapper utility. It also got this vanity PostgreSQL License of its own instead of having a similar but more established, common license.

I think they ought to re-license it under a more common license, and fix the userspace tools to be more friendly.
              The issue with the user space utilities relates to how PostgreSQL is installed.
              Traditional install was --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql, with the userland under /usr/local/pgsql/bin.
              Somewhere along the way, Linux decided that ALL apps (eg mysql, pgsql, java, etc) should be installed in /usr/bin - which IMHO is a mistake
              /usr/bin should be reserved for base operating system utilities and the like.
              Linux should change the recommendation for major app to use their own folders (Like Windows Program Files)
              I prefer /opt/pgsql and update my PATH if I need to access the user land apps.

In terms of the license - all 14 lines of it are fine.

And yes, us old school database admins love PostgreSQL, it's mature, it's fast, it's ACID compliant, it's enterprise grade and industrial strength.
              Last edited by system32; 25 September 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Too bad zheap didn't make it in. Oh well, something to look forward to in future releases!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The license works just fine for PostgreSQL - you can do whatever you want with it so long as you include the license and don't hold U of C Berkeley responsible. It's short, simple, and readable by human beings.

Some people don't like the Linux style "one command with 17 trillion options" that git has. It's why Mercurial is considered simpler to learn.

PostgreSQL has dozens and dozens of real-world conveniences for the end user that even some of the ultra-expensive RDBMSes like MS SQL Server lack. I find it to be an enjoyable experience to use.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post

The license works just fine for PostgreSQL - you can do whatever you want with it so long as you include the license and don't hold U of C Berkeley responsible. It's short, simple, and readable by human beings.

Some people don't like the Linux style "one command with 17 trillion options" that git has. It's why Mercurial is considered simpler to learn.

PostgreSQL has dozens and dozens of real-world conveniences for the end user that even some of the ultra-expensive RDBMSes like MS SQL Server lack. I find it to be an enjoyable experience to use.
                    Yes, the license is free and simple, its also OSI-approved, but it is not FSF-approved or DFSG-approved. Also, it is a vanity license, not a common license that is used by other software.

But with Git I can just type git and press enter tab and get autocompletion to discover commands, but in PostgreSQL there are executables without the pg_ prefix such as createuser, etc. It is not user-friendly.

Yes, it is a very good database stacked full of features, it is very advanced, fast and good. I am sure it is a great database, perhaps arguably the best database server there is, but I don't like that it uses a vanity license and that the userspace is not so user friendly.

Comment

Working...
                    X