Disman Continues Taking Shape As Display Management Library For X11/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disman Continues Taking Shape As Display Management Library For X11/Wayland

Phoronix: Disman Continues Taking Shape As Display Management Library For X11/Wayland

Disman is the display management library forked from LibKScreen as part of KWinFT. Last week at XDC2020 an update was provided on this Qt/C++ library for display management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, I freaking knew it! A fork of KWin made total sense, this is great. Time to take it for a spin!

Thank you, Roman.

Comment

one of stupid thing I hate about Linux is there so many compositors and Display manager and no one need all this or ask for it

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        one of stupid thing I hate about Linux is there so many compositors and Display manager and no one need all this or ask for it
        I know that...

Project timeline:

1st day: Project start to replace another project because they think its taking too much resources... The new project take only 1 Kb of ram / 0.0001% CPU, but it only has one function.
        2nd day: User ask for more function.
        3rd day: The project is the taking the same amount of resources from the other project...

Comment

Unfortunately I must agree that Linux display management has devolved into an unfathomable mess.

The Linux community really needs to come together and find some common way forward or things are just going to get worse, not better.

Thank goodness I use XFCE so I'm isolated from all the ridiculousness right now, but sooner or later all this fragmentation is going to affect everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
            Unfortunately I must agree that Linux display management has devolved into an unfathomable mess.

The Linux community really needs to come together and find some common way forward or things are just going to get worse, not better.

Thank goodness I use XFCE so I'm isolated from all the ridiculousness right now, but sooner or later all this fragmentation is going to affect everyone.
            It will affect you when the time comes for XFCE to finally drop X and decide whether to create its own compositor, or adopt a Wayland compositor framework like wlroots or Mir.

Comment

It may help if you think of the current situation as there being only a couple or so major compositor + display manager combinations that you need to care about (let's say Mutter, KWin and wlroots) and treat the rest of them as minor projects that in no way affect (either positively or negatively, though IMHO a good case can be made for the former) the development time constraints or resources of the major ones.

It just so happens that some people love tinkering with their systems and creating new, interesting things without caring about whether someone else needs them or asked for them, and Linux allowing them to do so is really a plus when compared to rival OSes. But it's not like these people are paid developers that waste their workhours on these side-projects instead of doing Real Work™ on the major display managers. If anything, their endless tinkering only really hurts their own free time :-)

Comment

It should be easier if and when one of the competing display management protocols are accepted into wayland proper.

Comment

Originally posted by mozlima View Post
                  I know that...

Project timeline:

1st day: Project start to replace another project because they think its taking too much resources... The new project take only 1 Kb of ram / 0.0001% CPU, but it only has one function.
                  2nd day: User ask for more function.
                  3rd day: The project is the taking the same amount of resources from the other project...
                  You are right. The problem is they end up using the same infrastructure and libraries as the "bloated" software.
                  Many "light weight" desktops are only light in features as a result and not in resource usage.
                  It is a monumental task to rewrite some of the "infrastructure".

Comment

Roman's efforts are actually aiming to clear this mess up a bit. If his display management infrastructure actually works with most Wayland compositors, it will be a huge win even if support doesn't include Mutter.

I really home Roman's KWinFT project pans out well, KWin is in a dire need of a major update.

Comment

Working...
                    X