Ubuntu Touch OTA-13 Released With More Phones Supported, UI Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Touch OTA-13 Released With More Phones Supported, UI Improvements

Phoronix: Ubuntu Touch OTA-13 Released With More Phones Supported, UI Improvements

The UBports community has announced the release of Ubuntu Touch OTA-13 as their newest over-the-air update to this Ubuntu mobile operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This has really improved quite a bit since the old Ubuntu days. I have been running it on an old Nexus5 for a while now and will probably switch over my OnePlus3 that I use as a daily driver this week. Really 99% of the typical Smartphone things can be done fine with this

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
      This has really improved quite a bit since the old Ubuntu days. I have been running it on an old Nexus5 for a while now and will probably switch over my OnePlus3 that I use as a daily driver this week. Really 99% of the typical Smartphone things can be done fine with this
      What would you say, specifically, is still missing? I haven't seriously tried Ubuntu touch for a quite a while, but I still have a Nexus 5 and a Oneplus 3 laying around.

Comment

Whatever happened to Convergence? I wanted that more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
          Same thing to the idea that they were going to put a real Linux on the Samsung Dex... it died in a fire. Best hope for it now is probably the Librem phone.

Comment

It's too bad it doesn't yet support the Xperia XZ 2, as I bought one just for the fun of it, so it's an extra device I just mess with (wanted to see the difference between a mostly stock Android and a Samsung Android phone (there are HUGE usability fixes they do at Samsung by the way). But would love to put a non-Android OS on there.

Comment

Will have to check it out on my old Ubuntu phone E4.5.
              Only bug I had in the past, is that while there is no SIM card in it, it looses the WiFi password from my LAN. But that apparently was fixed with last months beta/alpha?
              Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                Originally posted by leech View Post
                Same thing to the idea that they were going to put a real Linux on the Samsung Dex... it died in a fire. Best hope for it now is probably the Librem phone.
                Waaaaat?! Convergence still is the main goal of Ubuntu Touch. And it already works very well. Lomiri (was Unity8) is now running on Manjaro and proves to be a usable desktop environment. You can totally use your phone pluging it to a screen, and then use a bluetooth keyboard and the phone screen as a touchpad, to have a desktop-like experience.

Where did you read convergence is dead?
                Last edited by Flaburgan; 22 September 2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                  Waaaaat?! Convergence still is the main goal of Ubuntu Touch. And it already works very well. Lomiri (was Unity8) is now running on Manjaro and proves to be a usable desktop environment. You can totally use your phone plugin it to a screen, and then use a bluetooth keyboard and the phone screen as a touchpad, to have a desktop-like experience.

Where did you read convergence is dead?
                  EXACTLY CORRECT! An example of an early build of Ubuntu Touch running in desktop mode on the PineTab can be seen here. Again, to the critics, the linked video demonstrates an early build of Ubuntu Touch running in desktop mode. Ubuntu Touch in phone mode is already running great, and desktop mode is improving daily.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

What would you say, specifically, is still missing? I haven't seriously tried Ubuntu touch for a quite a while, but I still have a Nexus 5 and a Oneplus 3 laying around.
                    Try it on the Nexus5 then. Super easy to install.
                    For me missing is easy CardDAV syncing (its possible but not from the GUI) and GPU acceleration in the browser (works on PinePhone, but not on old Android devices).

Comment

Working...
                    X