Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.0 Development Host/Target Changes Announced

Phoronix: Qt 6.0 Development Host/Target Changes Announced

The Qt Company announced their planned development hosts for Qt 6.0 around continuous integration and the platforms they intend to support for Qt 6.0, some that are no longer set to be supported, and other targets they plan to support later on in future Qt 6.x releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Qt Company is not planning to support Qt 6 on Windows 7 or Windows 8 along with discontinuing UWP support on Windows 10. Apple tvOS and watchOS are also both being dropped from CI.
    UWP being dropped means they will focus on the Win32 API for their Windows 10 port which is great. However surely that also bodes well for Windows 7 and Windows 8 because barely anything has changed. I am assuming the code will still continue to work (or be trivial to "fix") for those platforms.

Comment

Omg CLA, omg non-free, omg stuff...

There, I got that out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

UWP being dropped means they will focus on the Win32 API for their Windows 10 port which is great. However surely that also bodes well for Windows 7 and Windows 8 because barely anything has changed. I am assuming the code will still continue to work (or be trivial to "fix") for those platforms.
        I hope so, since Windows 7 and 8.x has a huge market share. Probably related to Microsoft dropping support for it prior-to/during the lifespan of Qt 6. They obviously don't want to support an OS that not maintained.

As always, there's web/native alternatives especially for hobbyist/non-enterprise software.

Comment

If Qt guys thing that I will ever move from Windows 7 to a spyware / adware / bloatware OS like Windows 10 they are really stupid!
          Fuck you Qt!
          What's so hard to support an OS where nothing changes, all the API remain the same and for which the support is already there from the previous versions of Qt ?
          But of course Qt has released only bad news and idiotic decisions in the last months so I don't know why I'm even wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            If Qt guys thing that I will ever move from Windows 7 to a spyware / adware / bloatware OS like Windows 10 they are really stupid!
            Fuck you Qt!
            What's so hard to support an OS where nothing changes, all the API remain the same and for which the support is already there from the previous versions of Qt ?
            But of course Qt has released only bad news and idiotic decisions in the last months so I don't know why I'm even wondering...
            I'm going to take a wild guess here and say this isn't about you.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say this isn't about you.
              L O L

Comment

Fuck you Qt!
                ....... because you think that if m$ can steal your data with W10, they have no way to do the same with W7 ?..... Think twice.

Comment

Fuck you Qt!
                  Can you explain to me why Qt should support a Microsoft operating system, which Microsoft no longer supports? And if you are concerned about your privacy you should just get away from Windows!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Can you explain to me why Qt should support a Microsoft operating system, which Microsoft no longer supports?
                    .... to make money.

If I made $50 an hour for supporting one of my products on MS-DOS I would. Quite happily.

They aren't "supporting a Microsoft operating system". They are supporting *their* software and customers that pay them.

Welcome to the world of enterprise. Legacy is the norm. Just look at IE6. That gained most of its success after it was EOL XD
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 11 September 2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X