Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Series Launches With Impressive Specs, Competitive Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Series Launches With Impressive Specs, Competitive Pricing

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Series Launches With Impressive Specs, Competitive Pricing

As widely expected amid a constant flow of rumors and leaks in recent weeks, NVIDIA just revealed their GeForce RTX 3000 "Ampere" series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty amazing release if the benchmarks back up the speed claims for the prices!

Comment

In other news, AMD is about to release an RX 5300 XT to compete with the RTX 1650

Originally posted by Spam View Post
      Pretty amazing release if the benchmarks back up the speed claims for the prices!
      Yeah, putting aside brand and OS loyalty, Nvidia usually does make a good product.

Comment

I am impressed really, but unfortunately for AMD GPUs, it's a first nail in the coffin, unless they divide their price by 4.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          I am impressed really, but unfortunately for AMD GPUs, it's a first nail in the coffin, unless they divide their price by 4.
          We don't know what AMD has in store. Maybe the pricing of Nvidia is not going higher because of that. We will see

Comment

Let's take the presented performance with a grain of salt. There must be a reason why Nvidia has upped the power requirements immensely even though they usually produce highly efficient GPUs and currently have no competition at the top end. Also, that "number dropping" presentation is somewhat weird. I mean: More than twice the throughput but not even twice the performance in hand selected benchmarks? Also, pricing the cards $100 lower than what was previously leaked is not a typical Nvidia move. To me, this seems as if they feel threatened. Maybe, they know something about Intel or AMD that we do not.

Comment

I maybe the only one who is NOT excited with these cards. They are hot, with custom connector (I hope vendor cards will be normal) and it is not clear about "raw" GPU performance without RTX, DLSS and other stuff. While even AMD realized that consumer GPU should not be so complicated and developed RDNA, nVidia makes these monsters. I think it is a really good opportunity for AMD to announce a really good GPU, especially when TDP requirements has weaken a little

Comment

The prices seem a lot lower than anyone expected. I feel that they are expecting some form of competition, because this is such an non-normal nvidia move.
                The 3080 is a cut down 3090, but why did they cut it down so much? Is the yields that bad?
                And that power consumption... if RDNA2 is really 50% more efficient than RDNA1, then AMD is going to take the efficiency crown?

If so, this will be the first exciting generation in a long time.

Note: I don't need anything near the high end on GPU's and will probably always get mid to budget cards in any case.

Comment

The CUDA core counts in the post are off, those were from leaks. It's actually 3090 - 10496 cores, 3080 - 8704, and 3070 - 5888. That's why power usage is up, but not that much because they did massively improve performance/watt.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                    Let's take the presented performance with a grain of salt. There must be a reason why Nvidia has upped the power requirements immensely even though they usually produce highly efficient GPUs and currently have no competition at the top end. Also, that "number dropping" presentation is somewhat weird. I mean: More than twice the throughput but not even twice the performance in hand selected benchmarks? Also, pricing the cards $100 lower than what was previously leaked is not a typical Nvidia move. To me, this seems as if they feel threatened. Maybe, they know something about Intel or AMD that we do not.
                    They leaned REALLY hard into RTX performance numbers, so I'm taking many grains of salt. I'm not sure what to expect, but I really hope they are actually good numbers and not just padding them with RTX performance.

My gut reaction cynical take is that "Twice the speed" means double the FPS in RTX on scenarios. Standard games might go from 200 -> 250 fps. But RTX games go from 50 -> 100 fps. Thus double the performance! Granted, 200 -> 250fps is still a huge leap, and 100fps with RTX on is amazing. Hopefully we all benefit, and that AMD is in fact pressuring them behind the scenes with RDNA2 and nvidia isn't just padding numbers to convince people to upgrade.

I'm currently looking to build a new system around the new year, and I HOPE AMD has something to counter this with (even if they dont counter the 3090, I'm not looking in that price range) or that they are at least price competitive. I like to think I put a lot of value into AMD's open-ness... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                    X