Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora IoT To Be Promoted To An Official Edition With Fedora 33

Phoronix: Fedora IoT To Be Promoted To An Official Edition With Fedora 33

For the past few years there has been a Fedora spin for the "Internet of Things" while with Fedora 33 this autumn the Fedora IoT version is being promoted to an official edition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not exactly happy about this. First off I just see this as taking focus off Fedora's primary reason for being. That is as a development distro for RedHats distro and the server / desktop markets.

The second issue is that smart cities are surveillance cities. I'd rather not see Linux used to create an Orwellian world. This has the feel of giving rope to the people that would willingly hang us, just because.

Comment

[QUOTE=wizard69;n1201934]I'm not exactly happy about this. First off I just see this as taking focus off Fedora's primary reason for being. That is as a development distro for RedHats distro and the server / desktop markets.[/QUOTE

That's Red Hat's primary (but not only) reason for funding Fedora, but it's certainly not Fedora's reason for being — or Red Hat's only reason for caring, even.

The second issue is that smart cities are surveillance cities. I'd rather not see Linux used to create an Orwellian world. This has the feel of giving rope to the people that would willingly hang us, just because.
      So, right now, my house has a bunch of IoT systems which work by connecting back to servers controlled by Google, Amazon, and a bevy of smaller companies that I basically just hope have good security practices on their side. With an open-source, community IoT platform, we can build something that people can actually own themselves.

Comment

Working...
      X