Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/Linux Turns 27 Years Old

Phoronix: Debian GNU/Linux Turns 27 Years Old

Today marks twenty-seven years since the late Ian Murdock started Debian as one of the original Linux distributions. It was on 16 August 1993 when Ian Murdock started this distribution while it wasn't until September when he released the first version. Debian remains one of the oldest Linux-based distributions / operating systems. Over the years Debian has gone on to power numerous other Linux distributions like Ubuntu and SteamOS while continuing to experience much success in its own right as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have used many distributions over the years, but I always end up returning to Debian. I don't know if it's just the best, or just best for me, or whatever. But it always seems to be the most stable for me. Even over some of the random things that Red Hat does.

Comment

I hope it finally dies because it has a garbage installer, outdated packages with a policy that adds pointless work by backporting fixes, a crappy package manager, and a policy regarding licensing that's completely orthogonal to what FSF is saying. It also splits out development packages out for no good reason, making it much more annoying to hunt down packages to compile software from source, because not everything is in the repos, and not everything should even be there (like suckless software).

Comment

I like that debian is always there for us, even indirectly or for slightly more niche users. For example:
        • Supports i386
        • 1st Class Raspberry Pi support (32-bit Raspbian / 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS)
        • Jail break Android (Most use debian via debootstrap)
        • Armbian (For orphaned / obsolete arm hardware)
        • Intel Galileo (the Intel developers use have produced unofficial debian images)
        Even in two places where I have noticed it isn't Debian, it is Ubuntu instead which is basically just a glorified Debian
        • pcduino - Some riced Ubuntu
        • Nvidia Jetson Nano - Some bloated Ubuntu
        Whilst I prefer BSD to Linux as a day to day driver, I really do know that if all else fails, It may be boring but at least I can always fall back on Debian. I feel this project deserves more funding than most existing projects out there.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 17 August 2020, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Just wish the Debian/kFreeBSD project would have taken off better. It kind of fizzled out around Debian 7 to 8 transition. I will say Debian 7 was a great OS and powered many PCs for myself and family. I finally broke it when I tried to convert an ext4 file system to a btrfs file system.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            I hope it finally dies because it has a garbage installer, outdated packages with a policy that adds pointless work by backporting fixes, a crappy package manager, and a policy regarding licensing that's completely orthogonal to what FSF is saying. It also splits out development packages out for no good reason, making it much more annoying to hunt down packages to compile software from source, because not everything is in the repos, and not everything should even be there (like suckless software).
            Nice trolling.

Comment

Respect. I don't use deb based distros much these days, but loved debian and apt when I started out many years ago.

Comment

The funny thing is that if you install current Debian (XFCE) and Xubuntu from 10 years ago, side-by-side, they're indistinguishable as far as the user experience goes. Same install process, same UI, same icons, same menus. Debian is that stable. You can run it for decades, and it might update stuff under the hood, but looks, feels and works the same.

Comment

Debian is a halmark in the community.

In many ways it defines the GNU/Linux experience, and I think sometimes its role in defining what a distribution is, or bringing a working system from an installer to the internet cannot be understated.

It was essentially the first "modern" recognizable, and its community non-profit effort, set the stage for what community based software looks like. It is the last piece of software to connect GNU, Linux, and a dozen other packages into a coherent usable operating system and platform. All as a not-for-profit run by a board of users.

It ported to many architectures, and was parent to many many many child distros, many of which where pretty important. It became the base and standard for many projects to come.

Comment

Congratulations to my favorite Distro. So what is Debian for me... let's see here. It is stable and works regardless if you run the stable branch or testing branch. No hassle, easy peasy and more up to date than many other distros including Ubuntu.

And the most important thing about Debian: It is all there for FREE for me to use without any catches , AND I can even complain about it as much as I want if I want to file a bugreport.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X