Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches Ryzen 4000 APUs - But Only For Pre-Built PCs / OEMs

Phoronix: AMD Launches Ryzen 4000 APUs - But Only For Pre-Built PCs / OEMs

AMD today officially revealed their Renoir-based Ryzen 4000 APUs. Unfortunately though for enthusiasts, at least for now these APUs are just available for pre-built systems and OEMs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD today officially revealed their Renoir-based Ryzen 4000 APUs. Unfortunately though for enthusiasts, at least for now these APUs are just available for pre-built systems and OEMs
    In that case they can keep them, I'm planning on building using Rocket Lake anyway.

Comment

Michael, there is an error in your article. The Renoir APUs have 8MB L3 cache, not 12MB.
      Last edited by brianfcoleman; 21 July 2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I am fine with OEM-only if some of them offer a motherboard with a soldered APU.

Comment

I'm looking forward to see what 4900HS with OC'ed RAM in a mini-pc (with decent cooling) could do.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

In that case they can keep them, I'm planning on building using Rocket Lake anyway.
            It's only a couple of weeks apparently, and it's only useful if you want a small system or don't need discrete graphics, otherwise get the standard Ryzen CPUs.

Why wait for Rocket Lake?

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post

Perhaps he likes CPU bugs? Once you get hooked up on that shit, it's hard to let go.

Rollercoaster of emotions: New software release! is it going to be faster? Or slower? You can never tell!! Endless fun.

Comment

Generally for AMD Renoir I recommend at least Linux 5.7
                Thanks Michael, as usual

I believe kernel 5.8 is the one bringing in a lot of sutff for latest AMD?
                Thermal reportings, etc..I didn't knew 5.7 was already in a decent shape for Renoir.

I am planning to buy a new laptop, I wanted to go with Ryzen 5 4600U( due to the base frequency being 2.3 Ghz, I believe )
                The problem.. I can't find a decent laptop with ethernet, and 2 SODIMM'S sockets for Ram

So I am expecting a classical lenovo but with Renoir..
                But quietly sitting and waiting its arrival on the market..

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
                  Some people decide by emotions not by logic.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    Thanks Michael, as usual

I believe kernel 5.8 is the one bringing in a lot of sutff for latest AMD?
                    Thermal reportings, etc..I didn't knew 5.7 was already in a decent shape for Renoir.

I am planning to buy a new laptop, I wanted to go with Ryzen 5 4600U( due to the base frequency being 2.3 Ghz, I believe )
                    The problem.. I can't find a decent laptop with ethernet, and 2 SODIMM'S sockets for Ram

So I am expecting a classical lenovo but with Renoir..
                    But quietly sitting and waiting its arrival on the market..
                    I use 5.7. Once 5.8 stable is out, yes, it's nice with AMD energy driver and such but it's not yet out as a stable release. Hence 5.7 recommendation. I am happy with 5.7 on my two Renoir laptops.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X