Linux 5.9 To Allow For Toggling Energy Efficiency Mode On Kaby Lake CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 To Allow For Toggling Energy Efficiency Mode On Kaby Lake CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 To Allow For Toggling Energy Efficiency Mode On Kaby Lake CPUs

The patches talked about last month for a new "energy efficiency" tunable for the Intel P-State driver for Kabylake / Coffeelake CPUs is set to go into Linux 5.9 for those wanting to increase the energy efficiency of these CPUs on Linux albeit with reduced performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If your performance wasn't low enough after the mitigations, you can also enable this I guess

Comment

I'd enable this on my laptop because it's rarely used for anything demanding but it's a Skylake. Likely to be replaced with a Ryzen 4000 series.

Comment

I disabled all mitigations on my Coffee Lake Refresh laptop, but I also did 100mV undervolt on CPU and disabled Turbo Boost. Even without Turbo Boost but with disabled mitigations my laptop feels a lot more performant then with full frequency but mitigations on. And thanks to undervolt (and no TB of course) it is cool as it never ever was.

Comment

Working...
        X