Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Approves Of Making Nano The Default Terminal Text Editor, Other Features Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Approves Of Making Nano The Default Terminal Text Editor, Other Features Accepted

Phoronix: Fedora Approves Of Making Nano The Default Terminal Text Editor, Other Features Accepted

At this week's Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) meeting, more features were approved for the Fedora 33 release due out this fall...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The change to make nano the the default text editor was approved.
    While I use Vim, this change must be welcome for new users who expect a friendly text editor.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo:

While I use Vim, this change must be welcome for new users who expect a friendly text editor.
      Overall I am quite pleased by this. I prefer Vim to stay much more minimalist (like Vi) rather than have irritating auto indent / syntax highlighting and other crap attached. It is a little bit sad but keeping it away from the majority of users is a good way to ensure it remains this way.

That said, new users will tend to avoid the command line anyway. Or they will see a command line text editor and instantly think to themselves "Ooh, that is old and rubbish".
      In X11/Wayland I could probably suggest do what Microsoft does with notepad and just launch a blocking version of gedit. I.e so when a Git commit is made, gedit comes up and blocks the script execution until it is closed.

For people who use the command line only to administer servers, I would have thought they knew enough Vi/Vim by now to change config files? they don't have to be programming text editor gods but learning 3 key strokes isn't too hard.

I am assuming by "default" this just means nano is symlinked to 'sensible-editor'? It will generally make no difference to classic users anyway, because muscle memory means that we will just type 'vi' anyway.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 12 July 2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Thank you, based Fedora developers!

Comment

GHC 8.8 and Haskell Storage LTS 13 were approved.
          Interested in what Haskell Storage is I found out that Haskell Stackage LTS 16 is what was actually approved

Comment

Finally saving the world from the horrors of having to type 'dnf install nano'. This is heroic.

Comment

Talk about useless arguments being taken here, you would think that this would be a non-issue if you let the users choose on the (Fedora) installer would do the trick. Even saves up time to wait after the installer being done to install the preferred text edtior. Even solves more potential issues if you want both too (Vi for log reading and Nano for the average system administrator user, what ever the reason might be).

Comment

Thank you Fedora!
                I wish they had done this two decades ago, vim is awful, it is terrible, I have no idea how to use it. GNU nano is soooo much easier, then the few people who prefer vim can configure their system to use vim instead, but for the rest of us, we just want something easy and simple like GNU nano.

Comment

Jeez Micheal, you could spend a few words on the biggest proposals of all: btrfs
                  Does the no-mention mean it's a no-go?
                  Thanks

Comment

It's a sensible decision. A person who knows vim or emacs is going to know how to install them. Someone who doesn't isn't as likely.

Comment

Working...
                    X