GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.37.3 Are Out Roaring With Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.37.3 Are Out Roaring With Better Performance

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.37.3 Are Out Roaring With Better Performance

Released on Tuesday was GNOME 3.37.3 but missing the mark in time for that proper milestone were the all important GNOME Shell and Mutter components. But a few hours past the mark, they were released and come with some big changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Michael Please consider to bring some attention to the recent performance improvements on gnome-software. Philip Withnall have been doing some great stuff the last couple of months. Saving a lot of CPU and RAM. That’s quite important on Fedora now that the recent Shell uses less RAM than gnome-software.
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...ged&label_name[]=Performance
    This is also helpful for us Pinephone users running Mobian.
    Btw Shell does not use more then 110MB ram on my Pinebook Pro with 4GB RAM, it is nearly in the realm of lightweight desktops now. Slimmer then KDE Plasma on that thing and also faster, and with smooth instead of stuttery animations. Great work from the people at Gnome.

Comment

I want support for blurred opacity.
      Also want the animation to be bottom-up sliding (like iOS and Android) instead of diagonally folding.
      It is great that there is ArcMenu and Dash-to-panel which makes GNOME better.

Comment

What's worth to note resizing windows in Gnome is smoother than KDE even without mentioned optimizations. It may be thanks to Wayland. Gnome 3.38 is going to be perfectly smooth with valid (Open Source) graphic stack. Proprietary blob 2D performance always suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

This is also helpful for us Pinephone users running Mobian.
          Btw Shell does not use more then 110MB ram on my Pinebook Pro with 4GB RAM, it is nearly in the realm of lightweight desktops now. Slimmer then KDE Plasma on that thing and also faster, and with smooth instead of stuttery animations. Great work from the people at Gnome.
          It should be said that certain things are not as well optimized on ARM devices because there are hardware differences, e.g. tiled rendering. There's no EGL_KHR_partial_update support yet because on intel/amd/nvidia EGL_EXT_buffer_age is used.

Edit: The same applies to Firefox (with Webrender) atm., and mesa support is also just getting started. So there's definitely room for improvements on that front - but the devs of all that projects seem to be aware of it.
          Last edited by treba; 08 July 2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Alexmitter In that case you might be more interested in the work happening on sysprof support on glib.
            This adds initial support for sending profiling data to sysprof. Mostly, it sends data from GMainContext and GSource, but other sources could be added in future....

Yup, that’s profiling on glib level, amazingly cool stuff.

(Work sponsored by endlessm in case anyone should suffer from the only-Canonical-do-performance-work narrative)
            Are you still sore for my reply in the other thread?
            Of course Canonical can't be doing all the performance work, that was never intended.
            OTOH the recent leaps in performance happened after Canonical switched back to Gnome.

Anyway you're entirely missing the point.
            Even with the best performance on the table (and it hasn't) Gnome would still be lacking in terms of UI/UX compared with other desktops, including the most used ones:
            macOS
            Windows 10 (and 7)
            • Kde
            • Cinnamon
            • Budgie
            • Deepin

Whatever, that's off-topic. The thing that really gets my attention here is support for different refresh rates, which is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
              Even with the best performance on the table (and it hasn't) Gnome would still be lacking in terms of UI/UX compared with other desktops, including the most used ones
              If you question shell UI/UX, there are themes and extensions. Gnome 3 was made scriptable and hackable on purpose as its creators knew that their UX will be radical and not everyone will like it. Whatever you like, Gnome replicate it be it.
              If you question the userland apps, thats more tricky. Personally I was once like you but became a changed person after one week of trying it with a open mind. If you still don't like the core apps, you are free to replace them with whatever you like.

I think it is interesting that you include OSX in your list, a OS with a not radical but horrible UX and broken by design core apps.

Comment

Sounds like Gnome Icon Grid is the new Crysis... 30..40 fps for a basic OS-Feature. At the same time when the refresh rate of monitors finally is over 60 Hz.

Comment

I am high on GNOME performance updates!

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                    Even with the best performance on the table (and it hasn't) Gnome would still be lacking in terms of UI/UX compared with other desktops, including the most used ones:
                    • Kde
                    • Deepin
                    Now you just listed every single DE from the top of your head for trolling purposes. User experience on KDE is really, really bad. Especially the desktop effects are in the same sad state that they were when KDE 4.1 was released. Everything blinks and twitches and is erratic. Plasmoids suck ass and do not work well. Most plasmoids are complete crap in the "icon mode" when thrown on to the taskbar. Most plasmoids, actually, are useless crap even in regular mode.

(I was a KDE user from 4.1 through 4.5 and then switched to Gnome for good.)

P.S. I've tried using some Deepin apps but they don't even reach the same quality as my abandoned pre-alpha state hobby projects.

Comment

Working...
                    X