Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Guix Begins Publishing System Images Based On Hurd

Phoronix: GNU Guix Begins Publishing System Images Based On Hurd

Earlier this year was news of GNU Guix wanting to replace their Linux kernel usage with the Hurd microkernel. For those interested, the project recently began producing system images with indeed Hurd wired up for this software distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That was just April Fools' joke. Nobody is replacing Linux-Libre kernel on Guix.

Adding support for Hurd does not mean Linux kernel is going to be unofficial.

Comment

Hurd's hardware support is pretty fucking pathetic. Went through the list and even PS/2 mouse had " a but.." conditional.. Forget USB mouse.

Thing seems to be on life-support simply due FSF's political reasons.

Comment

Yeah, looks like the joke flew over some heads.
        From here:
        Hey, this post was published on April 1st, so take it with a grain of salt! Read the followup for some clarifications.
        From there:
        There’s been a bit of speculation as to whether our April 1st post was a joke. Part of it was a joke: we’re not deprecating Linux-libre, fear not! But when we published it, it was already April 2nd in Eastern parts of the world and thus, not surprisingly, the remainder of the post was less of a joke.
        So, linux-libre isn't getting deprecated, and hurd isn't going to be the default anytime soon. BUT, it's nice to see it making some progress, and Guix's architecture makes it easy to try it out
        Hopefully The Hurd will gain support for some new hardware soon. Easier to use should mean easier to contribute as well, at least in theory
        IIRC there's an ongoing project to provide microkernels with a basic set of drivers, but I don't recall which.

I still found some interesting links when looking for this:

https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq/drivers.html (via above)

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          Hurd's hardware support is pretty fucking pathetic. Went through the list and even PS/2 mouse had " a but.." conditional.. Forget USB mouse.

Even OpenBSD seems to be doing a lot better in terms of hardware support, and that says a lot ...

Comment

Ah yes, I remember them saying the same things about Linux. And now the Linux hardware support on the whole is better than proprietary alternatives. Especially for older hardware.

The biggest thing for me is, the world doesn't need another Linux Distro. At least going for GNU Hurd brings something new (old) to the table. Yes, if you were a big fan of Linux *and* liked the Guix package manager, then that is unfortunate but lets be honest, Linux users are quite used to change.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Even OpenBSD seems to be doing a lot better in terms of hardware support, and that says a lot ...
              OpenBSD hardware support is fine as long as you stick to Intel or older AMD graphics and choose WiFi card carefully. On some Thinkpads it's hardware support is said to be better than Linux's (sleep/restore etc). It's main gripe (for me) is it's FFS2 file system.
              USB 1 through 3 work on it too, Hurd does not even have basic USB yet.

Comment

More like it's still alive because of FSF political reasons. Any other sane project would have recognized defeat and abandoned the field a decade ago.

Forget USB mouse.
                why you need a mouse to use a console? Keyboard is all you need
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 July 2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  Ah yes, I remember them saying the same things about Linux.
                  Does not mean anything.

Hurd is older than Linux and in the time that Linux took to become a thing it is still partying like it's 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    why you need a mouse to use a console? Keyboard is all you need
                    Why not? I've seen LGR using a mouse in DOS apps a couple of times.

Comment

Working...
                    X